Photo

Sony says Vita was developed for PS4 more than PS3, not unreasonable to own both

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:14 AM

You do know namco beat all of the big three in motion gaming, right?

Yes i know, but im not talking about motion gaming in general, im talking about sony copying nintendo, look at the wii, they just decided to copy it even similar controllers, then the vita which is very similar to the 3ds (even the AR cards they copied)

and now the Wii U, Nintendo came up with it and sony copied it with the vita, Microsoft copies nintendo as well

I just don't like copycats 

#22 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

400+60 (game)+ 200/249 = 660/709

Guess we will need to find another job again! :P

Unfortunately the preposition would probably be better if Vita was a tablet. At least that way, people could justify spending so much for the whole package - as in more used for Vita than just being a second screen.

• Doc likes this

#23 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

400+60 (game)+ 200/249 = 660/709

Guess we will need to find another job again! :P

Unfortunately the preposition would probably be better if Vita was a tablet. At least that way, people could justify spending so much for the whole package - as in more used for Vita than just being a second screen.

Technically you get 18 games (12 PS3 + 6 Vita) with PS+; I just got a PSVita from Gamestop, some special edition one where I also got Unit 13 (so 19 games). Then they updated the list tuesday and I got a few more games, that's over 20 games for $299. And I can use the PSVita in the same manner that we use the GamePad on the Wii U - play on the PSVita directly without the TV on. I love my 3DS XL, but I'm also enjoying the PSVita too. Yeah the 4GB memory card the PSVita comes with is small, but I got the 32GB for $80 off Amazon and I can download whatever games I want / remove them once I beat them and download them again at any time. 

Edited by bornsupercharged, 20 June 2013 - 11:14 AM.

Posted Image

#24 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

Technically you get 18 games (12 PS3 + 6 Vita) with PS+; I just got a PSVita from Gamestop, some special edition one where I also got Unit 13 (so 19 games). Then they updated the list tuesday and I got a few more games, that's over 20 games for $299. And I can use the PSVita in the same manner that we use the GamePad on the Wii U - play on the PSVita directly without the TV on. I love my 3DS XL, but I'm also enjoying the PSVita too. Yeah the 4GB memory card the PSVita comes with is small, but I got the 32GB for $80 off Amazon and I can download whatever games I want / remove them once I beat them and download them again at any time. 

Yeah, but you also have to pay for PS+, right? That also adds to the full price.

There are just two problems: the price of memory cards and the fact that people don`t want the Vita even with all the perks. And even if they did, the whole package is just too expensive. Look at the early days of PS3: no matter the value offered, there`s a limit people are willing to pay.

Actually i saw a promotion where for a memory card (39$, i think) you got 10 games free.

#25 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

It really stinks that the Vita is doing so bad. It's an impressive piece of tech that can do so much. But very little games have been released for it. I only bring out my Vita to play PSOne games, watch some movies I downloaded, and play Jetpack Joyride. Sure it's getting a lot of Indie Games, and by no means is that bad. But it really needs that killer game that's going to draw in all kinds of gamers.  Sony also needs to drop the price of the Vita, and at least drop memory card prices. But it seems that the 3DS is on full steam, so many devs are flocking to it instead. It's sad to see that the Vita is now being made as an add on to the PS4. It'll have some cool features like cross play, but I can't see myself doing it that much.

Edited by Firejonie, 20 June 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#26 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

Yeah, but you also have to pay for PS+, right? That also adds to the full price.

There are just two problems: the price of memory cards and the fact that people don`t want the Vita even with all the perks. And even if they did, the whole package is just too expensive. Look at the early days of PS3: no matter the value offered, there`s a limit people are willing to pay.

Actually i saw a promotion where for a memory card (39$, i think) you got 10 games free.

No my Vita came with 1yr free PS+ and a 4GB memory card. In addition to using it to play PS4 games for off-tv play, it gave me over 20 games and PS+ for $299. Doing the math, that's $14.95/game - and it doesnt include all the games that I get to add to my collection over the next 12 months. They rotate in more free games every week, and once you download them they're added to your collection permanently (so long as your PS+ subscription is active). Assuming just 1 game per week (even though its always more than that), that's 52 more games + the 20 already = 72 games / $299 = $4.15 per game. I'm talking Saints Row 3, Unit 13, Uncharted 3, Little Big Planet 2, etc. Well worth the price, far more value than XBox Live Gold ever provided me. 

It's sad to see that the Vita is now being made as an add on to the PS4. It'll have some cool features like cross play, but I can't see myself doing it that much.

Actually that is the secondary reason I got the Vita - the primary reason being it came with a year of PS+ which gives me a ton of games for free. Pays for itself in no time, while also letting me play my PS4 from any room in my house on the Vita. Coupled with our Wii U, my 4yr old son can play the Wii U GamePad, my wife can watch TV and I can play any PS4 game directly on the Vita. At $249 it doesn't make sense as a separate controller alone, however I'm looking at it as a value added package.

Posted Image

#27 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Really, I can see why Sony would even consider such bold-faced stupidity: they know the Wii U's coming after them, sitting in the corner, biding its time; the PlayStation and Xbox will be so busy attacking each other that the U will have time to pick up speed, and make ludicrous money; like a time bomb waiting to go off. Sony's basically saying "See, we can do all that dual-screened stuff you love so much too! You just need to spend two-hundred-and-fifty dollars, and it can even play it's own games... please buy a Vita, we beg of you!". 

Edited by TheDoritoKing, 20 June 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#28 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:20 AM

No my Vita came with 1yr free PS+ and a 4GB memory card. In addition to using it to play PS4 games for off-tv play, it gave me over 20 games and PS+ for $299. Doing the math, that's $14.95/game - and it doesnt include all the games that I get to add to my collection over the next 12 months. They rotate in more free games every week, and once you download them they're added to your collection permanently (so long as your PS+ subscription is active). Assuming just 1 game per week (even though its always more than that), that's 52 more games + the 20 already = 72 games / $299 = $4.15 per game. I'm talking Saints Row 3, Unit 13, Uncharted 3, Little Big Planet 2, etc. Well worth the price, far more value than XBox Live Gold ever provided me. 

PS+ does add a lot of value to the console, but there`s a catch: you don`t get to own them. So, if by some reason you lose the service, it`s all gone.

But like i said before, not everyone is ready to pay close to 700 - and still not own the games PS+ offers.

#29 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:01 AM

PS+ does add a lot of value to the console, but there`s a catch: you don`t get to own them. So, if by some reason you lose the service, it`s all gone.

But like i said before, not everyone is ready to pay close to 700 - and still not own the games PS+ offers.

Oh, come on. It's not like Sony is just going to go "herp, no PS Plus for you even though you paid for it" or "Derp, no PS Plus Subscription? WIPE THIS MAN'S HARD DRIVE IMMEDIATELY"

Getting the games back is as simple as buying a subscription off of the PSN or buying a PS Plus card.

Do you not 100% own the games? Yeah. Thing is, you still get to play them without any "ur free trial haz end lol" crap, and the subscription is such a great deal between the discounts and free games offered that there's very little reason to not stay subscribed. Plus, I think it's required to use online multiplayer functions with the PS4, so now there's very little reason to not subscribe. :L

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#30 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Oh, come on. It's not like Sony is just going to go "herp, no PS Plus for you even though you paid for it" or "Derp, no PS Plus Subscription? WIPE THIS MAN'S HARD DRIVE IMMEDIATELY"

Getting the games back is as simple as buying a subscription off of the PSN or buying a PS Plus card.

Do you not 100% own the games? Yeah. Thing is, you still get to play them without any "ur free trial haz end lol" crap, and the subscription is such a great deal between the discounts and free games offered that there's very little reason to not stay subscribed. Plus, I think it's required to use online multiplayer functions with the PS4, so now there's very little reason to not subscribe. :L

Exactly my thoughts. It's only $50, cheaper than one of the AAA title games they give you. And don't forget, it's not just a one time thing - they release new titles for you to grab for free weekly.. so that $50 pays for itself quick. Not to mention that PS+ is necessary to play online multiplayer as Pappa GameCollector said. 

Posted Image

#31 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

Sometimes you have no time to play it all, so why pay for them or simply, you just don`t the money for everything.

Yeah, it now is mandatory to have it to play online.

Thing is, there are still tons of people who no interest in paying for the service, even if that means no online play (I never paid for X360 because i`m not that interested in online play anyway.)

Personally, i have a PS3 and never even considered getting PS+. I`m just not interested.
Whatever money i have to use on games i want to be able to resell them to buy new ones - the ones that i might want and are not part of the package. Even with the Wii U, i`ll only buy digital what is digital only (Indies, VC).

#32 Water Max

Water Max

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokémon and The Legend of Zelda

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:38 AM

The quoted text in the first post makes Sony look like they will eventually give up making very good games for the PSVita and just focus on the connectivity between it and the PS4.

Well, it will be, kinda. You'll see.

Nah the Wii U has the gamepad no point to it...

Currently the 3DS can connect to the Wii U by transferring Miis to the Wii U and I expect that there will be more features like this introduced in the future but I don't believe that the 3DS will become only an accessory for the Wii U because the 3DS will continue to have very good games made for it.

Posted Image

#33 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

I'm gonna hold a level of positivity in mind about this. As it is with the Gamepad for the Wii U, how they incorporate the Vita into PS4 functionality will be important. They have the capacity to do something amazing that blows anything the Wii U does to that point.

Given that they are technically two separate devices that can operate on their own, they are definitely capable to do something that even the Wii U can't. It would be interesting to see if they can actively pursue this avenue.

Oh man, that Hawaiian holiday in December has dented all my moneyz and no gaems til 2014 :'(

In related news, I got Persona 4: The Golden, Ragnarok Odyssey and Soul Sacrifice for no more than $80 AUD, all new. That's what I call "Actual attempt at bargain hunting instead of caving in to default prices".

Edited by Eren Jaegermeister, 22 June 2013 - 03:54 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#34 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

The quoted text in the first post makes Sony look like they will eventually give up making very good games for the PSVita and just focus on the connectivity between it and the PS4.
Currently the 3DS can connect to the Wii U by transferring Miis to the Wii U and I expect that there will be more features like this introduced in the future but I don't believe that the 3DS will become only an accessory for the Wii U because the 3DS will continue to have very good games made for it.

What would be better is if you could play 3DS games on the TV with your Wii U, that would be awesome! :D

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#35 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

What would be better is if you could play 3DS games on the TV with your Wii U, that would be awesome! :D

Very, very unfortunately I do not think Nintendo would do this. They are still set in the 1990s mentality, look at their online gameplay/multiplayer functionality.Until they get some SERIOUS rollover of upper management, with fresh minds, I don't see it happening. It would be great, but so would a pokemon MMO game - people have been saying it for YEARS but Nintendo doesn't listen or refuses to embrace it. 

I'm gonna hold a level of positivity in mind about this. As it is with the Gamepad for the Wii U, how they incorporate the Vita into PS4 functionality will be important. They have the capacity to do something amazing that blows anything the Wii U does to that point.

Given that they are technically two separate devices that can operate on their own, they are definitely capable to do something that even the Wii U can't. It would be interesting to see if they can actively pursue this avenue.

So you know how some games on the Wii U do not have the off screen capability? It's different than the Wii U GamePad because every single PS4 will be playable directly on the PS Vita - with exception to motion controlled/pseye games. As in, I can take the next Gran Turismo into my bathroom/bedroom and play it on my PS Vita if I wanted, regardless of distance to the PS4 itself since it does it over WiFi. The Wii U GamePad has a much shorter range because you're communicating with the Wii U directly, so it's about 30 feet open-range. My wifi goes over a hundred feet easily, I have an ASUS Dark Knight RT-N66U router.. arguably the best ranged wireless router ever made. 

I also agree with you and I imagine Sony could also do more with the Vita, beyond making it a second screen as well. In fact, if you check the PS4 page, they already list iOS and Android devices as being able to be second screens for the PS4. So your iPad or my Nook HD+ can become second screens. It even says you can watch the game being played on your console via an app.. that's amazing innovation right there. Of course, I'd prefer the PS Vita as a second screen/controller over a tablet/phone because it actually has joysticks and physical buttons - something tablets/phones will never be able to replace. 

Posted Image

#36 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

Very, very unfortunately I do not think Nintendo would do this. They are still set in the 1990s mentality, look at their online gameplay/multiplayer functionality.Until they get some SERIOUS rollover of upper management, with fresh minds, I don't see it happening. It would be great, but so would a pokemon MMO game - people have been saying it for YEARS but Nintendo doesn't listen or refuses to embrace it. 

So you know how some games on the Wii U do not have the off screen capability? It's different than the Wii U GamePad because every single PS4 will be playable directly on the PS Vita - with exception to motion controlled/pseye games. As in, I can take the next Gran Turismo into my bathroom/bedroom and play it on my PS Vita if I wanted, regardless of distance to the PS4 itself since it does it over WiFi. The Wii U GamePad has a much shorter range because you're communicating with the Wii U directly, so it's about 30 feet open-range. My wifi goes over a hundred feet easily, I have an ASUS Dark Knight RT-N66U router.. arguably the best ranged wireless router ever made. 

I also agree with you and I imagine Sony could also do more with the Vita, beyond making it a second screen as well. In fact, if you check the PS4 page, they already list iOS and Android devices as being able to be second screens for the PS4. So your iPad or my Nook HD+ can become second screens. It even says you can watch the game being played on your console via an app.. that's amazing innovation right there. Of course, I'd prefer the PS Vita as a second screen/controller over a tablet/phone because it actually has joysticks and physical buttons - something tablets/phones will never be able to replace. 

A MMO pokemon?... didn't they make like that one pokemon game on the DS that was different from the other ones?...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#37 Water Max

Water Max

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokémon and The Legend of Zelda

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

A MMO pokemon?... didn't they make like that one pokemon game on the DS that was different from the other ones?...

Are you thinking about Pokémon Conquest? That game looks like the MMO World of Warcraft but it has no online multiplayer and therefore isn't an MMO. Also the the gameplay in Pokémon Conquest is more like the Fire Emblem series than World of Warcraft.

Edited by Water Max, 22 June 2013 - 10:22 AM.

Posted Image

#38 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

As in, I can take the next Gran Turismo into my bathroom/bedroom and play it on my PS Vita if I wanted, regardless of distance to the PS4 itself since it does it over WiFi. The Wii U GamePad has a much shorter range because you're communicating with the Wii U directly, so it's about 30 feet open-range. My wifi goes over a hundred feet easily, I have an ASUS Dark Knight RT-N66U router.. arguably the best ranged wireless router ever made.

Actually that is not confirmed.  What I read strongly implies that its connecting to the PS4 directly over ITS WiFi, like how it works when used as a controller for Little Big Planet 2 on PS3.  That said as its using 2.4Ghz the range may still be better than the Wii U, although it may also be more laggy as your neighbors WiFi is more likely to interfere.

I would HOPE that they do give us the choice to use the LAN like on PS3, but that added a fair bit of latency so they might not want to do that.  They certainly haven't been pushing it as "play your games on PS Vita when away from home" like they did with Remote Play on the PS3.  Although if your broadband is good enough it should be perfectly plausible.

As for people claiming Sony are pushing PS Vita as ONLY a companion for the PS4, don't be silly.  Of course they were pushing it as that recently because the PS4 is the big deal right now.  They clearly expect people to have the intelligence to realise that the PS Vita is a portable games console.  It makes sense to be pushing what ELSE it can do once PS4 launches.  They are hoping PS Vita owners will want to buy a PS4 for it (its definitely a factor for why I am getting PS4), and letting potential PS4 buyers know that they might want a PS Vita too.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 23 June 2013 - 04:42 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#39 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

Edited by BrandedSwordsman, 20 May 2018 - 02:13 AM.

#40 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

Actually that is not confirmed.  What I read strongly implies that its connecting to the PS4 directly over ITS WiFi, like how it works when used as a controller for Little Big Planet 2 on PS3.  That said as its using 2.4Ghz the range may still be better than the Wii U, although it may also be more laggy as your neighbors WiFi is more likely to interfere.

I would HOPE that they do give us the choice to use the LAN like on PS3, but that added a fair bit of latency so they might not want to do that.  They certainly haven't been pushing it as "play your games on PS Vita when away from home" like they did with Remote Play on the PS3.  Although if your broadband is good enough it should be perfectly plausible.

As for people claiming Sony are pushing PS Vita as ONLY a companion for the PS4, don't be silly.  Of course they were pushing it as that recently because the PS4 is the big deal right now.  They clearly expect people to have the intelligence to realise that the PS Vita is a portable games console.  It makes sense to be pushing what ELSE it can do once PS4 launches.  They are hoping PS Vita owners will want to buy a PS4 for it (its definitely a factor for why I am getting PS4), and letting potential PS4 buyers know that they might want a PS Vita too.

I gathered my information directly from Sony:

"Remote Play on the PS4™ system fully unlocks the PlayStation®Vita system’s potential, making it the ultimate companion device. With the PS Vita system, gamers will be able to seamlessly play a range of PS4™ titles on the beautiful 5-inch display over Wi-Fi access points in a local area network."

http://us.playstatio...m/ps4/features/

So what I said stands true :)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!