Photo

Why do you think 3d world only runs in 720p upscaled to 1080p?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

the wii u hardware should easily be able to run this game as it isn't the most graphically intensive thing, or at least it doesn't look like it (artstyle is very pretty though) 

so do you think it's a lack of optimization or do you think ninty is struggling with hd development still? 

Or do you think the game is too graphically intensive for wii u to run in native 1080p right now?

Super-Mario-3D-World_2013_10-15-13_025.jI'm assuming 

Super-Mario-3D-World_2013_10-15-13_006.j

Edited by AdmiralClassy, 18 October 2013 - 09:43 AM.

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Well considering the option of 4 players (or is it 5 with gamepad) possibly playing at once, along with  the new cherry powerup which duplicates your character... there potentially could be a lot of things going around on screen and they rather keep it locked at 60 fps and I'd assume upscale it to 1080 (like pikmin)

Also, each player can pickup more then one cherry and you could have 5 mario's running around just by yourself. 

Edited by Sorceror12, 18 October 2013 - 09:48 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

This is a surprisingly small budget game. You can tell just by looking at it. The number of assets like textures can literally be counted on one hand. They reuse the same texture tile over and over and over and over.

I dont think the thought of even bothering with 1080p ever crossed their mind.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#4 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Cartoony games are just as graphically demanding on the GPU as realistic games are. It's a misconceptions that cartoony games are easier for the GPU to calculate than realistic games.

I don't have enough knowledge to tell you exactly why this game could or couldn't run in 1080p, though.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#5 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

I think Nintendo's first thought with this game was:

"How do we ship on time and make sure it runs smoothly all the time, without hiccups - and still look like a next-gen Mario game."

It is a fantastic looking game. shockingly so in some areas.

At the same time, there is a purposed simplicity to it.

Although Nintendo could have gone much further with the graphics, what they have done suits the style better than going further.

Like the wet look for example. that could be done MUCH more realistic, but it wouldn't be consistent with the style of the game and therefore, what is there looks amazing. because it is consistent.

why not 1080P? I don't know. I believe the Wii U could push this game at 1080P/60fps.  but even Nintendo is still settling into the hardware (though, as this game attests, they seem to have gotten VERY comfortable with getting great performance from it).

I imagine 720p is the safety zone right now, whereas 1080 might be looked at as something that would require a game that "needs" it in Nintendo's thinking - ie: Zelda, Metroid, etc. This would justify the extra time spent in R&D performance budgeting for various polygon counts, texture usage, lighting models, effects processing, etc. to really nail it down, that stuff takes time.  And then it takes more time and more talented artists to actually create the assets, which are a lot more detailed (ie: can't hide many defects in the art, since everything shows up) And given the state of third party ignorance and betrayals (sort of laughing at Ubisoft right now with Rayman Legends failing at retail after they purposely delayed it on wii U at the perfect time to translate pent up demand into sales...), Nintendo doesn't have a lot of time to lose.  The pressure is on them now to turn over a steady stream of great titles. 1080P may be seen as something only for games that must have it. At least right now.

Nintendo seems to favor a "dream" look to its games lately on the Wii U. Mario 3DW, Mario kart, and even Smash Brothers to some degree share this "dream" look.  There was a bit of that way back in Mario 64 and even in Skyward Sword, but the Wii U Nintendo games seem to have a distinct "dreamy" look to them. I imagine its a combination of art style, certain use of bloom and lighting effects, and soft edges at adjacent polygon connections. At least that's how it looks to me when I try to break down the style and makes sense of how this particular look is achieved.  but one thing seriously stands out as impressive in most Wii U titles right now - lighting. Very, very good.

Perhaps the next Mario will be full 1080P. And hopefully we see it before too long after this one.

Here are a bunch of great screenshots:

http://www.computera...7,310506,310505

It's crazy though.  most levels are amazingly next gen in appearance and a couple... well, you know they were pressed for time.

Here are a bunch of great screenshots:

http://www.computera...7,310506,310505

It's crazy though.  most levels are amazingly next gen in appearance and a couple... well, you know they were pressed for time.

#6 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Hey how do we know it's not native 1080p?

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#7 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

First of all, because its much tougher to pull off 1080p than 720p.  Keep in mind that this is the Galaxy 2 team developing Mario 3D World and not the team that created the original Galaxy game.  Basically they simply arent as technically talented, but are great with level design.  Regardless the game looks great, it really does seem like it is merging the 2D Mario games with 3D gameplay.  Overall the game is using lots of cool effects that make it look very nice, and although I do love the clarity of 1080p, its not going to make or break Mario 3D World.   

#8 Thrash13

Thrash13

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Kart, Donkey Kong

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Do we know if runs at 60fps?  I'm much more worried about that than the 720/1080p question.  This game looks absolutely amazing as is, and if it runs at 60fps, I'll be super happy!

#9 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

Probably a preference.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#10 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

Toy-Story-disney-25165601-1280-720.jpg

1380794225-super-mario-3D-world-12.jpg

Obviously, real time 3D generation should look far worse than a frame by frame rendered scene, but this is interesting and encouraging...

Especially since it's "just a Mario game" in terms of graphics.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 18 October 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#11 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

I think smash, MH3U, and NFS:MW run in 1080p 60fps, and that's probably the most graphical intense games for the wii U. 3D world shouldn't be that hard to run in 1080p really.

Edited by Abcdude, 18 October 2013 - 01:22 PM.

794144.png?13383682

#12 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

I think smash, MH3U, and NFS:MW run in 1080p 60fps, and that's probably the most graphical intense games for the wii U. 3D world shouldn't be that hard to run in 1080p really.

The Wii U games at 1080p 60 FPS are Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Wind Waker HD, Rayman Legends, Smash Bros 4, and Skylanders Giants/Swap Force (I think, don't quote me on that). Need for Speed was 720p 30 FPS. Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart are confirmed 60 FPS, but unconfirmed what resolution. Mario Kart looks just as sharp as Wind Waker at Best Buy, but it may have been upscaled cause 3D World was also just as sharp.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#13 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Whatever, the game looks fantastic and Wii U has quite a few 60fps 1080p games out now and coming soon unlike Xbone which is supposed to be "next gen" and can't even run a stripped down version of Ryse in 1080p.

#14 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

The Wii U games at 1080p 60 FPS are Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Wind Waker HD, Rayman Legends, Smash Bros 4, and Skylanders Giants/Swap Force (I think, don't quote me on that). Need for Speed was 720p 30 FPS. Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart are confirmed 60 FPS, but unconfirmed what resolution. Mario Kart looks just as sharp as Wind Waker at Best Buy, but it may have been upscaled cause 3D World was also just as sharp.

Mario kart 8 was confirmed to be 1080p too. They must really be pushing the wii U limits with 3D world.

794144.png?13383682

#15 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

<redacted>

Edited by grahamf, 18 October 2013 - 04:19 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#16 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Mario kart 8 was confirmed to be 1080p too. They must really be pushing the wii U limits with 3D world.

Show me proof. If they got 1080p 60 FPS with splitscreen looking like that, then I will be even more impressed than I already am.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue

#17 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

Show me proof. If they got 1080p 60 FPS with splitscreen looking like that, then I will be even more impressed than I already am.

http://www.gamefaqs....kart-8/66777984

I couldn't find a genuine article, but here is the video. I haven't watched it yet, but if anyone can confirm it says it here in the video, then thanks.

794144.png?13383682

#18 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

http://www.gamefaqs....kart-8/66777984

I couldn't find a genuine article, but here is the video. I haven't watched it yet, but if anyone can confirm it says it here in the video, then thanks.

It says that they want to take full advantage of the resolution, so that may be 1080p. It's an interesting way of wording it though.

KtOSpy7.jpg

#19 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

It would make sense for Mario Kart to be 1080p, as in 4 player split screen you would be getting 960x540 (PS Vita resolution) per player, just slightly higher than the GamePad resolution of 854x480.  At 720p you would be down to 640x360 each, quite a lot lower than the GamePad.

I suppose to be fair to the GamePad player (assuming it supports 5 players, I havent checked) it should run at 1708x960, so every player gets the same resolution, but I'm not sure they would worry about that.  It is of course also possible that it might run in a higher resolution in single player than multi-player, but I'm not sure Nintendo do that sort of thing either.

Its amazing to think how people coped with 4 player on Goldeneye, the resolution was tiny.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#20 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

After watching that footage again, either the game has a very good anti aliasing or it really is 1080p. I'm betting on the latter.

It's ironic that the Wii U has the most 1080p60 games than the other next gen systems (PS4 and Xbox One), despite being the "weaker" system.

Edited by Arkhandar, 19 October 2013 - 04:03 PM.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!