Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:02 AM

POPULAR

So, if you've been actively following Mournblade's latest thread (and why wouldn't you, heck I change my PS3 background to a bonfire just for that story), then you'll probably know that Mourn will step down from his Administrator role sometime in the future.

Which means, someone is gonna have to get in contact with feld0 (place your bets on his response time now folks, no 'nevers' tolerated) and he'll probably do one of two things.

The first being that he gives the role of Administrator to someone else on the forum. The second being that he gives up and closes the forum altogether.

insertdoomedjokehere

This is kind of my intuition here, but if feld0 did get a new admin, he'd probably want good reasons to go through with it. I mean, it does cost money to run this operation. When you see things like the last news update being as far back as August, people moping about chat all the time (yes, the hypocrisy) and a general lack of interest across all the boards sans the Hardware section, and the happy trigger bots, it could be enough to reconsider if it's worthwhile.

Which means no more having fun with a lot of you. (Yes, I do have fun with a lot of you. A lot of you posts things that just make me smile.)

So I'm gonna wing it here, no pun intended. Throw whatever you think would actually help this forum in this thread. I reckon if we had a really nice list of changes that could be thrown in to the mix, well this place might actually be 20% cooler.

Of course, some ground rules here:

1) Nothing super stupid like "Let's kick this member!" or "Let's ask this member to not be a stupid head!". Basically, no assaults on members. Sure, I'll admit some are obnoxious at times, but let's get real. New idiots arrive all the time. If you guys can adhere to this simple rule, I swear I will make a complete stop on sexual context. Honest. Pinky Promise. Cherry on top. With a flying ****! No, TWO FLYING ****S!

2) That was the only constructive ground rule I can think of.

I guess I go first. Only natural I guess since I made the topic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said before that the Wii U News section has been more of a wasteland than the Badlands section of Digimon World 2003. It hasn't seen any new life in quite literally 3 months. Doesn't like much but it is a news section, so that's technically a bad thing.

I suggest it gets expanded. The automated news system comes from two blogs that don't get blogged anymore. Cut that system out, and expand it. First off, someone can take on the role of an "Updater". Essentially they would be the automated bot, except the human element means that they can make advantageous changes to what is posted. They would be responsible for making the news pieces (which would be donated by the members themselves) look all nice and uniform, so it actually does look a little professional.

News can take various forms as well. I'd like to stick with the aspect that these aren't threads but rather a single post, as we can leave actual discussions to the forums themselves. That said, I don't think it would be bad if we had a Game Archive, Tournament Announcements and perhaps even internal blogs (although that last one would be a streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch sorry).

I honestly meant to do this a long time ago, but without a proper place for it, I didn't continue with doing every title. This thread was a general idea of what I was trying to achieve, then using a Directory thread to find them all. I would honestly spend a chunk of my time at present to actually go finish it all if you wanted. But, I think, if we want to be a console forum, we should be able to present information on games neatly and cleanly.

I know there is a Matchmaking subforum, but I reckon it would be nice if we could say "every Friday night was a game a night and tonight's game is this game and we should all hook up and take loots." I mean, it's not like we could all go on the same time or all be in the same server. It would be a public notice that anyone on this forum can have a go playing with others. We could even have suggestion polls about what games and what systems.

When I say blogs, I kind of don't want to. I was thinking it would be more like 3-4 people discuss between each other a particular game, old or new, and try to construct a scoreless but unified review of a game. Perhaps it can be a reaction post to game news or even natural disaster. But I'd like to think that random people in the community could get chosen based on interest (both parties of course) to have a bit of a fun exercise in a different kind of co-op. So it's not really blogging so much as it is "Piloting Community Perspective" or something really, really dumbass along those lines.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay I did my boring half hour essay. Feel free to be as brutal, demanding, short or long as you want. I think if, for those of us who actually care for this forum, that we pitch in and start typing stuff up.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#2 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

Chat!

Joking (only sort of).

But since we've discussed that many times (I swear at least once a week it comes up)and why it can't happen right now, I'll go with:

-feld0 actually caring about the forums. I know people joke about it, but seriously, it would work wonders if when problems happen, someone could actually fix them.

-More game stuff

This is kind of a weird one. I feel like for a Wii U forum, not much discussion goes on about actually gaming on the Wii U. The only time we really talk about it is when people talk about system capabilities, and very occasionally, we'll briefly talk about some game coming out and it's graphics. A problem like that is hard to solve, so all I can really suggest is something similar to what you suggested. I think a section where we could just share our gamertags on games we own (especially with online games) could work wonders, because users would have more game stuff in common. It could also be  place to post our own screenies and stuff. I don't know, that's the best I can think of right now, I'll comment with more if I think of it :)

but I seriously wish chat was an option, it really can bring people together sometimes :(

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#3 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:19 AM

I think the forum really just needs to push through this low-point and try not to go under.

Once the actual Wii U console picks up pace (and it will when the games come out early in 2014) the forums will get a massive influx of new members that could keep the forums up and running.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#4 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

massive influx of new members

I honestly don't feel that's the drive the forum is going to need in order for feld0 to want to keep this site alive.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 10 November 2013 - 02:22 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#5 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:47 AM

I honestly don't feel that's the drive the forum is going to need in order for feld0 to want to keep this site alive.

If the forums thriving isn't what's needed to keep the site alive, then nothing is. Unless we can somehow gain Feld0's attention again by making him come back to the site more (because he wants to, not because we're being needy).

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:30 AM

likewhoring again I see.

He'll close the forum, we need to make a new one ourselves, I nominate r00bot to be the new admin of our new forum.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:28 AM

It's kind of scary to think that people lost the will to go on after the removal of the chat, even though the very thing was capable of bringing out the worst in us. 

Perhaps if there were more forum-wide events that would get the members involved?

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#8 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

Bring Noona back. Problem solved.

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#9 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

auzzie4admin2012

#10 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Time 4 replyingz

Recruiting a few dedicated newswriters is something that should be done, I agree. Just so long as they're active/generally unbiased.

Dedicated threads (or Official Discussion Threads) for games would be another thing I'd be open to adding.

User blogs...eh.....not likely, but maybe. The chat ain't never gonna happen 

Fixing the search function would actually be something that's high-priority at this point.

As for Feld0 actually caring about the forums...not likely. Between ponies and college, he doesn't have the time for us lowly peasants.

A "Share your Wii U screenshots" or just gaming screenshots in general thread would also be something that'd be easy to implement, the thread just needs to be made.

I...somehow doubt we'll get a massive influx of new members come early 2014, but we'll see.

Forum-wide events (beyond silly things like the Dantepocalypse) such as gaming tournaments/co-op would also be something to add. Just need to add something in the sidebar for that/somebody to organize such events. Although, I don't think this should be high priority...there's only about 20 active people here at the moment. Maybe if we get that influx of members r00bot was talking about.

The main problem is that Mournblade is starting/in college, and is basically our only forum coder besides Feld0. I don't believe I can access the forum's coding to add anything, nor do I know how...but I'd be open to learning. This would more than likely require recruiting a official forum coder.

Honestly, I wouldn't know where to start on all of this. But decisions do need to be made soon, I agree.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#11 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

The King of All Cosmos, on 10 Nov 2013 - 6:04 PM, said:
Dedicated threads (or Official Discussion Threads) for games would be another thing I'd be open to adding.

if this happens, please don't make it some ridiculous thing where you have to write for days and have 50 images in it to make it "worthy". Just let people discuss a game how they want to.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#12 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

While I'm still admin, I can try implementing some changes or updates you guys suggest.  At times I have a good amount of free time, and sometimes I don't.  As finals are coming up in 4 weeks, I may not have much time the next two weeks with getting in all homework and starting projects, but I will have some time over thanksgiving break (3 days or so).  Then 2 weeks of final prep and finals, then I will have a real break.

I don't know when I will be stepping down, but it will probably be during or after my winter break.

The main problem is that Mournblade is starting/in college, and is basically our only forum coder besides Feld0. I don't believe I can access the forum's coding to add anything, nor do I know how...but I'd be open to learning. This would more than likely require recruiting a official forum coder.

It's not that the problem is that I'm the forum's coder, but that I only have access to the ACP.  The only "coding" I can provide is for the board skins and layout.

I can try contacting someone who has cpanel access about fixing the search, but I'm not sure.

#13 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

Stuff like this is just what we need.... We aren't YAF... We are The Wii U Forums and we can break the mold of the ever repeating history. Together we are strong, we are a united community, thriving with talent and potential. We can look back at the mistakes from our predecessors and learn and grow. We cant change the cards we were dealt, we cant choose that our leader abandoned us, We cant choose that he thinks we're worthless, but what we can choose is how hard we work together to prove him wrong! We can show Feld0 that we matter too, just as much as his precious ponies, He wont swoop in and save us until we can show him that we are worth saving...

#14 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

I think the forum really just needs to push through this low-point and try not to go under.

Once the actual Wii U console picks up pace (and it will when the games come out early in 2014) the forums will get a massive influx of new members that could keep the forums up and running.

I would have to disagree with this. I used to be part of Dead or Alive World forums, and since there was a whole 4+ years between Dead or Alive 4 and Dead or Alive 5 they suffered a REALLY low period.

I joined after the release of dimensions (because that game was so balls, it barely increased the number of new users) and I liked it for a while. But I quickly learned what a LOT (and I mean a LOT) of people learned. Their forum just straight up sucks.

They had two main problems. 1. their moderation team consisted of the admin, his girlfriend, and her good friend. It was bad for obvious reasons (power corrupts, etc.). But I won't go into that, right now. the second problem which is more applicable here, was that, they didn't actually have much information about the GAME on there. Guides were rare, and when I brought the issue up everyone basically said, shut up, or do it by yourself. Anyway, between these two things, I ended getting very fed up, and, like so many others, leaving the forums.

Anyway, as I'm sure you're aware, Dead or Alive, 5 came out last september. I left right before the game was out, as new members were trickling in. Basically, the game doubled their forums population, but I lurked the main page yester day and they've basically lost all that momentum. they're right back to where they started when I joined.

If we don't try and fix some things, we'll probably be in the same position.

It's kind of scary to think that people lost the will to go on after the removal of the chat, even though the very thing was capable of bringing out the worst in us. 

I was thinking about this last night, but since I don't want this to become another chat-only discussion, I'll save those thoughts for when we get the resources to ring chat back. I'll just touch on one point, which is, I think it was so popular because it allowed people to get to know each other outside game and actually be friends.

On that same note, I think blogs might be a suitable semi-replacement, because it could do some of the same.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#15 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

I was thinking about this last night, but since I don't want this to become another chat-only discussion, I'll save those thoughts for when we get the resources to ring chat back. I'll just touch on one point, which is, I think it was so popular because it allowed people to get to know each other outside game and actually be friends.

On that same note, I think blogs might be a suitable semi-replacement, because it could do some of the same.

Chat!

Joking (only sort of).

Chat should come back eventually, I'm not sure how long is a long enough time to be grounded before we prove that we learned our lesson but chat was a pretty crucial part to growing together as a forum community. You cant get to know someone nearly as well through the means of just posting on the forums or even using the private messenger. However if chat did ever come back there would definitely have to be some drastic changes made, it wouldn't be allowed to be the free-for-all, wild west, anything goes that it was. There would have to be a couple dedicated chat mods to monitor the conversations and then there would have to be stricter punishments than there were, someone shouldn't be allowed to go into a graphically detailed conversation about the types of adult material they like to view on a family friendly Nintendo forum and then have everything go unpunished. But you cant expect the forum to thrive and grow without having a way to actually get to meet and know the people that are part of the same "community". 

Not to say that Chat is the ultimate savior of the forums, chat wont make or break this place, But it could definitely be used to bring us closer together as a little forum family

#16 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Chat should come back eventually, I'm not sure how long is a long enough time to be grounded before we prove that we learned our lesson but chat was a pretty crucial part to growing together as a forum community. You cant get to know someone nearly as well through the means of just posting on the forums or even using the private messenger. However if chat did ever come back there would definitely have to be some drastic changes made, it wouldn't be allowed to be the free-for-all, wild west, anything goes that it was. There would have to be a couple dedicated chat mods to monitor the conversations and then there would have to be stricter punishments than there were, someone shouldn't be allowed to go into a graphically detailed conversation about the types of adult material they like to view on a family friendly Nintendo forum and then have everything go unpunished. But you cant expect the forum to thrive and grow without having a way to actually get to meet and know the people that are part of the same "community". 

Not to say that Chat is the ultimate savior of the forums, chat wont make or break this place, But it could definitely be used to bring us closer together as a little forum family

I agree (especially with the thing about PM and skype not being able to take it's place (like people try to say they can)) but shhhhh! We've already discussed dchat like a million times, and the fact is that, even though lots of people want it, and Mourn wouldn't mind bringing it back, he doesn't have the money or time to implement it right now.

So yeah, let's keep talking about other ways to help the forum XD

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#17 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Skype wouldn't work at all, it's too easy for someone to decide against including someone.<br />Chat on the internet is about how fluid new people can just come along, skype is for communicating with existing friends, buddies, or guys as Canadians would say.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#18 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

Honestly, if he really is planning on closing down these forums, NOTHING will change his mind. Most of the problems you mentioned are because of his complete neglect and it's not our responsibility to maintain his blog.

If he's thinking of closing down the forums, it's because he doesn't care about the members, and he won't start caring if we point out all the bad things with his forum.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#19 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

if this happens, please don't make it some ridiculous thing where you have to write for days and have 50 images in it to make it "worthy". Just let people discuss a game how they want to.

Nahnahnahnah.

I mean, the starting post should be fairly informative about the game/maybe have screenshots, but it wouldn't be a huge thing.

I don't know when I will be stepping down, but it will probably be during or after my winter break.

It's not that the problem is that I'm the forum's coder, but that I only have access to the ACP.  The only "coding" I can provide is for the board skins and layout.

I can try contacting someone who has cpanel access about fixing the search, but I'm not sure.

Well, at least see if you can contact somebody about fixing the search function. It's a bit annoying to search for pre-existing threads in case of dupe.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#20 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

The King of All Cosmos, on 11 Nov 2013 - 12:11 AM, said:
Nahnahnahnah.

I mean, the starting post should be fairly informative about the game/maybe have screenshots, but it wouldn't be a huge thing.

I don't think it has to be. It's just a game.
People trying to copy neogaf, etc. just makes discussing a game a chore or something for elites.
Of course I'm not saying the thread maker can post a contentless post, that's covered by existing rules.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii U Forums, 2014, Jigglypuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!