Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

All right, since Mourn said we could move it to here, we're moving it here. Continue all discussion in here.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#2 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:31 PM

I have mixed feelings towards gamergate.  Some people are just using it as a stand for their MRA redpill enlightened BS, while others were genuinely in it to point out how corrupt Kotaku and friends are.

I think most actions taken towards people who have identified as pro-GG have been really damn poor, though. Moot on 4chan has pretty much shown he doesn't really care enough to have mods who are willing to allow and actually moderate discussions on topics instead of banning and doxxing their own userbase.

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:31 PM

http://jezebel.com/g...0/ laceydonohue

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#4 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I'm not quite understanding what this whole thing is about. 

I'm sorry. 

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

I have mixed feelings towards gamergate.  Some people are just using it as a stand for their MRA redpill enlightened BS, while others were genuinely in it to point out how corrupt Kotaku and friends are.

I think most actions taken towards people who have identified as pro-GG have been really damn poor, though. Moot on 4chan has pretty much shown he doesn't really care enough to have mods who are willing to allow and actually moderate discussions on topics instead of banning and doxxing their own userbase.

The biggest problem is that those are the people who founded it, and continue to organize it and dissimenate the propaganda and information that every ggater regurgitates.

http://apebox.org/wo...ess/gaming/635/

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I'm not quite understanding what this whole thing is about. 

I'm sorry.

Dont be, like, at all. You should be counting your blessings you made it this far in the bliss of not knowing.
http://www.msnbc.com/the-reid-report

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

The biggest problem is that those are the people who founded it, and continue to organize it and dissimenate the propaganda and information that every ggater regurgitates.

Dont be, like, at all. You should be counting your blessings you made it this far in the bliss of not knowing.
http://www.msnbc.com/the-reid-report

I'm usually not too fond of MSNBC, but...

ugh. 

**** would make me quit gaming. 

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#7 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

remember when this was actually a worthy cause. I think that lasted like a week.

#8 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

I have spoken to different people of different political affiliations and philosophies who are involved with gg, some of whom are trying to push the group in a different direction.  I remember there were quite a bit of pushes to try and get the communities to stop harassing Anita, Quinn, and etc... which obviously didn't work.

I personally don't see gg as some sort of organized group regurgitating the same rhetoric, but a group that is at war with itself, allowing the more extreme people to take advantage over the group as a whole. The main problem is that the group doesn't actually realize this.

I have even watched a few actions where 4chan users were just using gg as a tool to attack or make reddit look bad, and vice versa.

But I'll make it clear about GG that I am more neutral towards the issue. I've followed a lot of what's been going on, but I don't consider myself pro-gg.

My issues with the new 4chan and gawker-media were unrelated to or predated gg.  I've always really hated gawker's methods of reporting and their clickbait bs. I originally stopped because I hated Richard Eisenbeis' articles because they were extreme clickbait and just awful in general; but he wasn't writing articles about games, he was writing about anime.  I still check lifehacker every now and again though, as the staff there is definitely more responsible and makes an effort.

My issues with 4chan come from moot's response and how he handled things, which was very sloppy.  He created this situation where even regular users who had nothing to do with gg could be banned for bothering to ask.  If they can't ask questions and are banned, they'll feel like they'll need to join gg, regardless of the ideas being pushed.

The mods are no longer nuetral third parties and have no issue targeting specific threads and leaving others, which has left /x/ the most racist it has ever been, there were so many hitler threads on /x/ after gg... But that is probably just my fault for assuming that /x/ would ever get any better or have any encryption/puzzle threads.

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:47 PM

I have spoken to different people of different political affiliations and philosophies who are involved with gg, some of whom are trying to push the group in a different direction.  I remember there were quite a bit of pushes to try and get the communities to stop harassing Anita, Quinn, and etc... which obviously didn't work.
I personally don't see gg as some sort of organized group regurgitating the same rhetoric, but a group that is at war with itself, allowing the more extreme people to take advantage over the group as a whole. The main problem is that the group doesn't actually realize this.
I have even watched a few actions where 4chan users were just using gg as a tool to attack or make reddit look bad, and vice versa.

But I'll make it clear about GG that I am more neutral towards the issue. I've followed a lot of what's been going on, but I don't consider myself pro-gg.

My issues with the new 4chan and gawker-media were unrelated to or predated gg.  I've always really hated gawker's methods of reporting and their clickbait bs. I originally stopped because I hated Richard Eisenbeis' articles because they were extreme clickbait and just awful in general; but he wasn't writing articles about games, he was writing about anime.  I still check lifehacker every now and again though, as the staff there is definitely more responsible and makes an effort.
My issues with 4chan come from moot's response and how he handled things, which was very sloppy.  He created this situation where even regular users who had nothing to do with gg could be banned for bothering to ask.  If they can't ask questions and are banned, they'll feel like they'll need to join gg, regardless of the ideas being pushed.
The mods are no longer nuetral third parties and have no issue targeting specific threads and leaving others, which has left /x/ the most racist it has ever been, there were so many hitler threads on /x/ after gg... But that is probably just my fault for assuming that /x/ would ever get any better or have any encryption/puzzle threads.

Moots handling was definately sloppy, but really, the 4chan moderation has always sucked, and I never thought trying to actually mobilize them for once would pan out. I think at that point he was just damn done with it and didnt care.

Watching the little rainbowters concoct the whole ordeal was morbidly fascinating though. Its just irritating that a group so insipid and transparent consistantly manages to hoodwink so many people over and over again.

Im constantly in the thick of it pretty much every day, and I recognize constantly the 4chan propaganda and rhetoric posted in all the gamergate threads on 4 chan, and now 8chan. Ive even had /pol/ itself admit that they did it, and crow about how hilarious it all is to see all the normals unwittingly adopt chanology.

Concerning some of the 'normals' of gamergate who actually think its not supposed to be a hate movement, some are figuring out somethings going on behind the scenes (I... may have had a hand in this... behind the behind the scenes), and many are actively trying to put a stop to it. Unfortunately they are finding out the anti doxxing/harrassment stance is only a public front to make gamergate appear more palettable to the 'normals'.

When confronted with the 'please stop harrassing/doxxing' from the normals for a doxxing operation gamergate is conducting right now, this was the response:

Bz3VFa1CEAAbsmO.png

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

My only concern about GamerGate is how journalistic integrity has gone to rainbow.

That being said, I don't care enough about the situation to want to actively take part.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:06 PM

My only concern about GamerGate is how journalistic integrity has gone to rainbow.

That being said, I don't care enough about the situation to want to actively take part.

Well, thats because the products they are supposed to be critiquing in OUR interest to protect US as consumers, the very things they NEED to stay in business, like access to preview information and review copies of the products themselves, are being held hostage in exchange for leverage by the AAAAAAAAA publishing companies.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:19 PM

I'm usually not too fond of MSNBC, but...

ugh. 

**** would make me quit gaming. 

This is far from an objective view of what is happening and not as serious as they are making this sound. Any famous person will tell you they have receive/continually receive death threats. I'm not saying they are at all in any way a good thing. They are also not what the majority of GamerGate followers believe in or are supporting. You will hear over and over that GamerGate is a hate crusade, and there's a pretty simple reason for that. Zoe Quinn has been connected to several people within the journalism site denouncing gamergate. This has been confirmed by the sites themselves. This mean that all the media outlets who are reporting on gamergate, are on her side. A mailing list was also released by (I believe) the Escapist showing that they actually emailed each other when this started, and discussed how they want to "handle the issue". Finally, there are numerous women, and "people of colour" (hate that term) within GamerGate who are NOT receiving death threats simply for being women or "people of colour". Myself included. Finally, this is about journalism. The people who made tis a gender issue are the SJWs. I don't know why people have trouble seeing this, since this is their schtick. This is what they're always moaning and complaining about in literally every single thing they can find.People are saying because people don't like what these women are saying it must be simply because they're women. That quite simply is not true. I would also point out GamerGate donated $70k towards gender diversity in gaming. Not a single one of these journalism sites reported it. Of course not, it's against their agenda.

Also thought I'd mention full of crap that msnbc interview was. Anytime ever you see something covering an issue this big from only one side, you may as well ignore. It will essentially be propaganda.

Let's start with the fact saying 8chan is a "hate group" that was "banned from 4chan" is huge twisting and incredibly misleading. 4Chan put a ban on GamerGte discussion, so 8chan started it's own board where they could discuss it freely. This also happened when bronies were banned from 4Chan. It doesn't make you some extremist group. 

Also you don't think it's fishy this woman, knows all the women in the industry when they make up almost a quarter of it, and every single one of them is scared? That is the most full of crap claim I've heard today.

And then there's that not good stat of 22% of women vs. 67% men and 1% trans gender. Of frinking course this is the case. barely any women graduate in these in the rquired fields to get jobs creating games. What the frink is the gaming industry supposed to do about this? Hire more women? Just purposely tell men who apply to go suck themselves while they hire every woman who comes to their door, no matter what their skill level. And 1% percent transgender? Seriously? How not good do you have to be to think that that there would be an equal number of transgenders when there is probably less than 1% of transgenders in the world population?

You know what really grinds my gears about that stupidity though? You always hear about how disgusting all the industries that are male dominated are when each one of them has a clear lack of interest, and how this needs to be "fixed". But do you ever hear about the fields that are female dominated like teaching (17% male which is 5% more of a problem than the gaming industry, and it's a job that's a heck of a lot more important, especially considering that women are going farther in higher education and doing into better in education before that) and nursing ad how they need to be fixed? No, of course not, because this isn't about equality for genders it's about making sure women are superior to men.

Also fun fact: Anita isn't even a hardcore gamer. She started looking int it in like 2010, and of course the first thing she started doing was screaming about how sexist and hate filled video games are. It was also pointed out about how she cries about the "damsel in distress" stereotype, and if you look at her twitter right now, she is pretty much playing that stereotype.

Also I'll leave you with this. GamerGate now refers to this woman as "mom". She's awesome :)

Edited by WydrA, 13 October 2014 - 04:44 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

This is far from an objective view of what is happening and not as serious as they are making this sound. Any famous person will tell you they have receive/continually receive death threats. I'm not saying they are at all in any way a good thing. They are also not what the majority of GamerGate followers believe in or are supporting. You will hear over and over that GamerGate is a hate crusade, and there's a pretty simple reason for that. Zoe Quinn has been connected to several people within the journalism site denouncing gamergate. This has been confirmed by the sites themselves. This mean that all the media outlets who are reporting on gamergate, are on her side. A mailing list was also released by (I believe) the Escapist showing that they actually emailed each other when this started, and discussed how they want to "handle the issue". Finally, there are numerous women, and "people of colour" (hate that term) within GamerGate who are NOT receiving death threats simply for being women or "people of colour". Myself included. Finally, this is about journalism. The people who made tis a gender issue are the SJWs. I don't know why people have trouble seeing this, since this is their schtick. This is what they're always moaning and complaining about in literally every single thing they can find.People are saying because people don't like what these women are saying it must be simply because they're women. That quite simply is not true. I would also point out GamerGate donated $70k towards gender diversity in gaming. Not a single one of these journalism sites reported it. Of course not, it's against their agenda.

Probably because what you just posted is hair brains looney toons nonsense that came straight from 4chan propaganda, and people who were fooled by it.

And the spite donating was covered, and rather generously, I believe the Escapist and several others gave credit where it was due:
http://www.escapistm...-from-GamerGate

However, TFYC turned out to be a scam created by Autobotika, like, surprise most EVERYTHING involving gamergate

http://pixietalksgam...tfyc-questions/

So, once again, the normals got duped.

Oh, Its Sommers again. Remember I told you to be wary about her loooooongg before gamer gate started? Some thread about kids not being capable of learning empathy and she had some garbage scam article on it... Good times.

Anyways Professional Academic Peer Review of Sommers long before gamergate.

http://www-personal....n/sommers2.html

Man gamergate sure knows how to pick em.

Scammers, Con artists, Corrupt as Wii journalists who have been busted multiple times for illegal activities like refusing to pay contributors, ACTUAL NAZIS...

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:52 PM

Probably because what you just posted is hair brains looney toons nonsense that came straight from 4chan propaganda, and people who were fooled by it.

And the spite donating was covered, and rather generously, I believe the Escapist and several others gave credit where it was due:
http://www.escapistm...-from-GamerGate

However, TFYC turned out to be a scam created by Autobotika, like, surprise most EVERYTHING involving gamergate

http://pixietalksgam...tfyc-questions/

So, once again, the normals got duped.

You posted one article that simply mentions gamergate donated. If you think that's credit where credit is due, man do i have news for you...
Assuming that second article is true, why is this gamergate's problem? Oh no, they donated to a charity they thought was genuine that wasn't, what terrible people/ Even though things like this happen all the time. It does not hange the fact that huge loads of money were donated thinking this was real. Also, since the escapist supports it, doesn't that make them one of the "normals" to get duped?

Also I have a question for everyone in the thread. How many of you have twitter?

Edited by WydrA, 13 October 2014 - 05:03 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#15 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

You posted one article that simply mentions gamergate donated. If you think that's credit where credit is due, man do i have news for you...
Assuming that second article is true, why is this gamergate's problem? Oh no, they donated to a charity they thought was genuine that wasn't, what terrible people/ Even though things like this happen all the time. It does not hange the fact that huge loads of money were donated thinking this was real. Also, since the escapist supports it, doesn't that make them one of the "normals" to get duped?

Ah, the good old 4chan response doctrine. Straight from the 'How to deal with shills' propaganda lists. Man that pisses me off seeing it here.

Where did I state the people who were being duped were terrible people? Where do I state or direct ANYTHING, except at the dupers?

Oh, thats right, I didnt. Get that 4chan brainwashing out of your head, or realize you are throwing your hat in with horsing NAZIS, real, damn NAZIS.

weevjpg.jpg
'Heil Gamergate!'

All championed heros to gamergate. Its like theyll champion ANYBODY who will pretend to 'be on their side'.
BzjTCp3CUAI1MFg.jpg

Kind of makes you wonder what in gamergate the NAZI finds so attractive.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#16 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

Ah, the good old 4chan response doctrine. Straight from the 'How to deal with shills' propaganda lists. Man that pisses me off seeing it here.

Where did I state the people who were being duped were terrible people? Where do I state or direct ANYTHING, except at the dupers?

Oh, thats right, I dont. Get that 4chan brainwashing out of your head, or realize you are throwing your hat in with horsing NAZIS, real, damn NAZIS.

weevjpg.jpg
'Heil Gamergate!'

All championed heros to gamergate. Its like theyll champion ANYBODY who will pretend to 'be on their side'.
BzjTCp3CUAI1MFg.jpg

Well you called them normals (which I took to have a similar meaning to plebian) and duped has a negative connotation. It was implied.

Also your grammar is off. I'm not throwing my hat in with nazis. That is a single nazi. No s, and put an a before.

And that peer review was bollocks. You're not allowed to criticize the feminist propaganda? You know she calls her self the factual feminist and focuses most of her discussion around feminism and gender equality, right? He makes it sounds like if you're not actually supporting a cause then you're not allowed to write, and here he is writing a peer review. Academic doesn't mean intelligent unfortunately.

Edited by WydrA, 13 October 2014 - 05:13 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

Well you called them normals (which I took to have a similar meaning to plebian) and duped has a negative connotation. It was implied.

Also your grammar is off. I'm not throwing my hat in with nazis. That is a single nazi. No s, and put an a before.

Since Ive only explained it about four or five times, I guess Ill do it again, I thought it was OK to finally stop putting explanations and quotations around the fact 'Normals' are what 4chan/8chans /v/ /b/ and /pol/ refer to as all the non channers they've indoctrinated into waving the gamergate banner with them. Often while laughing and calling them 'useful idiots', a term referring to the dog whistle politic tactics theyve used to dupe them.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Useful_idiot

And seriously dude? 'Its just ONE NAZI with a swastika tatooed across his chest giving the hail hitler gamergate is saying is a big win because hes on our side now. Just one, that makes it OK' :|

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:23 PM

Since Ive only explained it about four or five times, I guess Ill do it again, I thought it was OK to finally stop putting explanations and quotations around the fact 'Normals' are what 4chan/8chans /v/ /b/ and /pol/ refer to as all the non channers they've indoctrinated into waving the gamergate banner with them. Often while laughing and calling them 'useful idiots', a term referring to the dog whistle politic tactics theyve used to dupe them.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Useful_idiot

And seriously dude? 'Its just ONE NAZI with a swastika tatooed across his chest giving the hail hitler gamergate is saying is a big win because hes on our side now. Just one, that makes it OK' :|

You have not explained this to me once. It is the first time you're using the word with me.

You also just admitted the term is negative, and refers explicitly to those supporting gamergate. Like I said.

Yes, just one makes it ok. Are you suggesting if a Nazi supports something that you should then flee? Drop the cause totally, because Nazi only ever support bad things. Any thing any one of them supports can not be good! Not only that, it doesn't occur to you that he's just full of crap? 

So if a nazi supported Nintendo acquiring Capcom, this is what you'r suggesting the appropriate response is: Everyone jump ship, we can't support this cause anymore! A NAZI supports it and therefore everyone else who supports this cause is a Nazi by association!

Edited by WydrA, 13 October 2014 - 05:42 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:45 PM

You have not explained this to me once. It is the first time you're using the word.
You also just admitted the term is negative, and refers explicitly to those supporting gamergate. Like I said.

Yes, just one makes it ok. Are you suggesting if a Nazi supports something that you should then flee? Drop the cause totally, because Nazi only ever support bad things. Any thing any one of them supports can not be good! Not only that, it doesn't occur to you that he's just full of crap?

So if a nazi supported Nintendo acquiring Capcom, this is what you'r suggesting the appropriate response is: Everyone jump ship, we can't support this cause anymore! A NAZI supports it and therefore everyone else who supports this cause is a Nazi by association!

ME: Yup. Dog whistle politics. Congratulations, youve been had by a bunch of astroturfers.
ME: They call you useful idiots (actual term, not surprisingly used by /pol/) or normals behind your back by the way.
ME: Concerning some of the 'normals' of gamergate who actually think its not supposed to be a hate movement
ME: When confronted with the 'please stop harrassing/doxxing' from the normals for a doxxing operation gamergate is conducting right now, this was the response:

Okay guy.

And that is blatant and obvious false equivilance. The ACTUAL equivilant would be a NAZI being hired BY Nintendo, representing the Nintendo company name, while being a NAZI and doing NAZI things, waving the Nintendo banner, and you bet your A$$ I would dissassociate myself with Nintendo until that was resolved.

You are waving the same damn banner as a LITERAL NAZI. ANd then when rainbow happens, you just shrug your shoulders and perform a textbook no true scottsman.

You can knock that 4chan pedantic unicorn tongue off. Its not going to work here.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:01 PM

I really dislike a lot about the gaming industry right now and I usually try and not pay attention to things going on... With that said what the hell is gamergate?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gamergate, Discussion, Mourn Sanctioned this, Please dont assault statuses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!