Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

Bringing the technology to the Wii U:
Posted Image

Gargan noted that all Wii U developers worldwide will have access to the Havok technology, the same way they would access Nintendo software tools, and that they have many cross-platform developer customers who can now easily add Wii U as an SKU for their projects. (None were explicitly discussed, though Gargan mentioned that several unannounced projects are actively in development).
In regard to the dual screen setup of the Wii U, Gargan stated that "with things like dual screens… most of our products are taken by game developers and then integrated, so dual screen [support] is something they typically worry about, rather than us."
Special considerations for the engine on Wii U:
Posted Image

"The platform has its own unique features, and has its own challenges as well. When we come across any new particular platform, we optimize specifically for some of the advantages that those platforms offer over other platforms, and Wii U has specific advantages that no other platform has, and we optimize directly for those, right down at the level of accessing the hardware.
"I think we'll see things done on the Wii U that we won't see on another platforms… I think people will be genuinely excited with the range of titles they're going to see come out."
The demonstration as presented at GDC can be watched in the following video. The demo shown used CPU-processed physics (as opposed to GPU), which, Gargan said, would be the case when the engine runs on Wii U. Source:http://www.nintendow...interview/29477
Posted Image

#2 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

This is very cool! E3 needs to be now. Like right now...

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#3 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

Awesome!

The Wii U will (hopefully) blow people away!

#4 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

180 hours til it starts...

That's... in 6 days or something?

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#5 Nin_Stream

Nin_Stream

Dry Bones

• Banned
  • 476 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, SmashBros, F-Zero

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

In 40 minutes (for me) It will be 7 days till Nintendo's E3 1 freakin week.

180 hours til it starts...

That's... in 6 days or something?

[E3 2012] Nintendo gets it's throne back.

#6 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

Free Havok engine? Devs must be lining up. :D

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#7 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

Havok without a doubt will bring alot more developers to the Wii u with it being free.

I still wish developers wouldn't solely rely on havok for there games it seems a bit dated in my opinion.

#8 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Again makes me think wii u gpu is weak and cpu is more credible. The comment that the wii u cpu is relied on for havok sort of confirms it. I'm expecting the wii u cpu to be more powerful than 360 and ps3 but have a weaker gpu. Thats the best/easiest way of configuring it for a small case.

I actually like the idea of a powerful console in memory and cpu terms that has a slightly weaker gpu. I like the idea of something like Skyrim with cartoon graphics but with more a.i., larger landscapes and decent frame rates etc. Basically I don't need graphics that are close to that of the real world I actually prefer the beautiful cell shaded graphics of something like Zelda Windwaker. I don't need to see Link with realistic skin and a black eye after a fight with blood dripping from his wounds in torn and stained clothes. Realism like that doesn't really appeal.

#9 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

The Wii U GPU is in fact much more capable than the 360/PS3 GPU. Nintendo didn't "gimp" the system after putting the "Superman" of CPUs inside.

Though GPU details are harder to come by, simple logic would dictate the GPU being far more powerful than what is in the old consoles. At first, there will be games that look very similar to these old consoles (remember Halo3 looking like an Xbox 1 game? - then compare that to Gears of War. Then compare THAT to Gears of War 3). As with any game system, the graphical quality of the games depend upon the engine used, learning the nuances of the hardware, and the developer talent. There will be very underwhelming Wii U games. There will also be Wii U games that blow your socks off. Everything on the Wii U is orders of magnitude greater than the current, older gen consoles from CPU, GPU, RAM, to the control setup, etc.

Thje Wii U is superior to the old consoles in every way. GPU included.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii U, Havok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!