Photo

Nintendo has put themselves in a BAD situation

Nintendo Sony Microsoft Ouya?!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

I think this is worth reading.

IMO Nintendo has officially gotten themselves screwed in terms of the Wii U. With Microsoft's SmartGlass and Sony's Vita/PS3 CrossPlay, and both being optional accessory's instead of almost necessary Wii U Gamepad, Microsoft and Sony can stick with traditional controls and make their consoles even MORE powerful than what we are all expecting. Now I hate how people think that Gaming is all about graphics but in reality, it's about the Gameplay experience in which the Wii U delivers this aspect in the best. HOWEVER, with Hardware costs having to be kept down to include the Gamepad, the graphics won't be as good as PS4 and XBOX Next, so trolls will have another reason to hate on the Wii U and third-parties will see this and once again pledge their games on Sony and Microsoft, leaving Nintendo in the dust...again, like they were with the Wii. Undoubtfully though Wii U WILL succeed because of the Loyal Nintendo fans, though we will see a repeat of the current generation.
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#2 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Any of Microsoft's casuals gamers like ones that just go on to play COD then get off in an hour, frankly wont give a crap about Smart Glass and not only that but isn't it just easier to hold the Wii U gamepad instead of switching back and forth? I doubt many developers will use the Smart Glass, only the first party titles that Microsoft want to push. I'd bet they would steal the puppet master mode from JD4 and put it on the smart glass for their dance Kinect game. As for the Vita, Sony is in deep trouble with it. It isn't selling as good as the 3DS and tbh I tried the Vita at Bestbuy and the analog sticks were pretty crappy. The only thing I liked was the screen. The rest was, meh. The thing that will push the Wii U to be successful is a good line up of hardcore + casual launch titles and a decent price to launch with. Anyway, if you really think that the PS4 and 720 or whatever will have better graphics you gotta be kidding. If the graphics get any better then the system will be more expensive. Look what bit Sony in the butt? The expensive launch price. Also, from what Sony says the PS3's limits haven't even been pushed yet and the 360 and PS3 are still selling pretty well. I don't think we will see a new console announcement from them until 2014 simply because if the systems limits haven't been reached then why come out with a new console? in my opinion so if it is true then that gives Nintendo the position to take it and run with it.

Edited by Colinx, 21 July 2012 - 11:03 AM.

2lvmghw.png

#3 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Any of Microsoft's casuals gamers like ones that just go on to play COD then get off in an hour, frankly wont give a crap about Smart Glass and not only that but isn't it just easier to hold the Wii U gamepad instead of switching back and forth? I doubt many developers will use the Smart Glass, only the first party titles that Microsoft want to push. I'd bet they would steal the puppet master mode from JD4 and put it on the smart glass for their dance Kinect game. As for the Vita, Sony is in deep trouble with it. It isn't selling as good as the 3DS and tbh I tried the Vita at Bestbuy and the analog sticks were pretty crappy. The only thing I liked was the screen. The rest was, meh. The thing that will push the Wii U to be successful is a good line up of hardcore + casual launch titles and a decent price to launch with. Anyway, if you really think that the PS4 and 720 or whatever will have better graphics you gotta be kidding. If the graphics get any better then the system will be more expensive. Look what bit Sony in the butt? The expensive launch price. Also, from what Sony says the PS3's limits haven't even been pushed yet and the 360 and PS3 are still selling pretty well. I don't think we will see a new console announcement from them until 2014 simply because if the systems limits haven't been reached then why come out with a new console? in my opinion so if it is true then that gives Nintendo the position to take it and run with it.

Most Gamers have been brainwashed into thinking that powerful Graphics and other specs are most important in a console so ieven if the Wii U is only 20% less powerful than the other Nest gen consoles, they're gonna stereotype it as they've done with Wii. That's the whole point. But Gameplay and first party game lineup Nintendo succeeds with. Also how Microsoft and Sony are offering their counter at Wii U with SmartGlass and Vita CrossPlay as OPTIONAL they can find away around Nintendo's strategy and dive straight into the hardware and try to prove themselves.
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

#4 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

You can still use the gamepad, and Nintendo have stated that if devs want to they can make their game Pro controller / wii-remote only...

#5 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

Everything Nintendo is saying sounds like they are pushing to be the PS2 of next gen in terms of power, reliable sources are saying the Wii U has archtecture much closer to the PS4 and 720 than the PS3 and 360, and saying if the Wii U doesn't get a multiplat than it has nothing to do with power, as for the Smart Glass and Remote play they are just this feature that would really be popular, the Smartglass is an app on the Ipad and the Ipad has no buttons vs the Gamepad which does, the Remote can't do anything near as close as the gamepad, it's just this feature that won't really effect the Wii U.

#6 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Most Gamers have been brainwashed into thinking that powerful Graphics and other specs are most important in a console so ieven if the Wii U is only 20% less powerful than the other Nest gen consoles, they're gonna stereotype it as they've done with Wii. That's the whole point. But Gameplay and first party game lineup Nintendo succeeds with. Also how Microsoft and Sony are offering their counter at Wii U with SmartGlass and Vita CrossPlay as OPTIONAL they can find away around Nintendo's strategy and dive straight into the hardware and try to prove themselves.

I gotta disagree. I think that once they see that the other consoles won't be running any better graphics they won't stereotype the Wii U. If the other companies don't change up their controllers or something. They're gonna be in deep. Also, if the other fan bases see that Microsoft and Sony don't switch it up. They should just move other to the Wii U because you can use the game pad AND the regular controller.

Sony and Microsoft's alternative are no match. The Smartglass is all ready being mixed-poor received. Look at dislikes-likes on their videos. It's just an app that nobody will use and it won't take on the full meaning of using the pad like the Wii U gamepad does since it is not a requirement to use.

Edited by Colinx, 21 July 2012 - 11:19 AM.

2lvmghw.png

#7 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

I gotta disagree. I think that once they see that the other consoles won't be running any better graphics they won't stereotype the Wii U. If the other companies don't change up their controllers or something. They're gonna be in deep. Also, if the other fan bases see that Microsoft and Sony don't switch it up. They should just move other to the Wii U because you can use the game pad AND the regular controller. Sony and Microsoft's alternative are no match. The Smartglass is all ready being mixed-poor received. Look at dislikes-likes on their videos. It's just an app that nobody will use and it won't take on the full meaning of using the pad like the Wii U gamepad does since it is not a requirement to use.

If this happens then Wii U will be even more successful, tho based on what Sony is saying, they want to prove that theyre the best. And other 3rd parties like take two are already skeptical because people are already making assumptions that it will be bad

#8 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

If this happens then Wii U will be even more successful, tho based on what Sony is saying, they want to prove that theyre the best. And other 3rd parties like take two are already skeptical because people are already making assumptions that it will be bad

Like I've said, Sony wouldn't make the mistake again of running up high launch price and enhancing their system by a lot would be more expensive. Considering the current gen is selling pretty well, the limits haven't been reached and if they do put out a new console then it would be more expensive. It makes best sense for them to wait a few years and let the hardware prices go down too. As for the 3rd party companies, that is their own business. The Wii U is the waiting game, people are going to wait to see what the other companies put out. If they dont like it, they may go to the Wii U if they do then great for them.

2lvmghw.png

#9 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

If the Wii U is the PS2 of the next generation...that's a good thing.

The most powerful console doesn't sell the most systems each gen. That's really as simple as that.

Plus, saying that the Wii U is doomed because of Smartglass or PS3 + Vita is, quite frankly, a joke.

Smartglass is a feature that is very, very optional, only marketed towards people with a tablet, an Xbox 360, and a game that can even utilize the thing. It's a nice feature, but that's quite a small market for having to add that feature, which costs companies much more during production.

PS3 + Vita is a joke in and of itself. If I've got this right, they want you to drop $250-300 for a home console (not including tax) then drop $300-350 for a portable console (once again, not including tax) and then drop another $40-120 on a game for both systems.

Then we have the Wii U, which will probably be $300-400 right out of the box, not including tax, and without games (maybe, depends if they decide to include a game with the Wii U.)

I don't see what the big worry is about.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#10 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

If the Wii U is the PS2 of the next generation...that's a good thing.

The most powerful console doesn't sell the most systems each gen. That's really as simple as that.

Plus, saying that the Wii U is doomed because of Smartglass or PS3 + Vita is, quite frankly, a joke.

Smartglass is a feature that is very, very optional, only marketed towards people with a tablet, an Xbox 360, and a game that can even utilize the thing. It's a nice feature, but that's quite a small market for having to add that feature, which costs companies much more during production.

PS3 + Vita is a joke in and of itself. If I've got this right, they want you to drop $250-300 for a home console (not including tax) then drop $300-350 for a portable console (once again, not including tax) and then drop another $40-120 on a game for both systems.

Then we have the Wii U, which will probably be $300-400 right out of the box, not including tax, and without games (maybe, depends if they decide to include a game with the Wii U.)

I don't see what the big worry is about.

Correct, I'm just saying that people are stereotyping it and the whole SmartGlass / CrossPlay thing is so that Sony and Microsoft can push out more power in their hardware and people will think Wii U isn't next gen. And gamers don't care if developers say that it is or not

Edited by Heyheyharold, 21 July 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#11 Zonark

Zonark

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

The smart glass is not live transfer there is a delay same with ps3 and vita. Nintendo isn't "screwed"

#12 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

IMO Nintendo has officially gotten themselves screwed in terms of the Wii U. With Microsoft's SmartGlass and Sony's Vita/PS3 CrossPlay, and both being optional accessory's instead of almost necessary Wii U Gamepad, Microsoft and Sony can stick with traditional controls and make their consoles even MORE powerful than what we are all expecting. Now I hate how people think that Gaming is all about graphics but in reality, it's about the Gameplay experience in which the Wii U delivers this aspect in the best. HOWEVER, with Hardware costs having to be kept down to include the Gamepad, the graphics won't be as good as PS4 and XBOX Next, so trolls will have another reason to hate on the Wii U and third-parties will see this and once again pledge their games on Sony and Microsoft, leaving Nintendo in the dust...again, like they were with the Wii. Undoubtfully though Wii U WILL succeed because of the Loyal Nintendo fans, though we will see a repeat of the current generation.

This would have been a good reasoning for the last two gens. From what you`re saying, I can understand that you are taking in account that the next gen PS360 won't have a tablet-like controller. I honestly think they will. If they don't, they will overall just release an enhanced remake of the PS360, which wouldn't sell well. OK it would be more powerful than the Wii U but if it doesn't sell well, companies won't take the risk to develop games for it. And you know that if Sony screws up with this gen, they're gone. Microsoft is a little bit under 0 in terms of profits since the XBox and are now beginning to get more money. They can't afford to fall again deep under 0. Of course, Microsoft won't die, but if it sees that the gaming department doesn't do well, they will close it. If they do make a tablet controller, they will A)Set a very high price and lose money or B)Set a reasonable price and be fairly equivalent to the Wii U in terms of power, which is the more-than-likely scenario.

Nintendo has put itself in a VERY GOOD situation.
Posted Image

#13 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Patcher are you there?

#14 Foot

Foot

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Patcher are you there?

Not funny joke, are you gone?

#15 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

The PS Move didn't get Sony any extra games or cash.
Kinnect is still costing Microsoft more than they're getting in return for it.

Things work better when they're in the box when you buy the console.
Notice the lack of Wii Motion Plus games.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#16 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Not funny joke, are you gone?

Why are you asking a joke, is it gone?

#17 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

While the Wii didn't fail at all, well... yes and no.

While the Wii did lack in the hardware department and failed to achieve much third party support it did however it still manages to outsell both the 360 and PS3 due to it's low price.
Posted Image

This is where it ends

#18 eugoreez

eugoreez

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

and you are forgetting something... developers who push too much into graphics and forget gameplay, are bound to kill themselves... do you know a high end graphics game cost as much as a movie costs? just look how many developers had to close down because their game sales did not break even.. yes, it is not a main factor for a developer to close down, but it contributes..
urhhh.. potatoes?

#19 Guest_TRON_*

Guest_TRON_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

i actually say the exact opposite. Nintendo has put itself in VERY good situation. here are my points as to why

1. the GPU having modern architecture. this alone was the reason the Wii wasnt able to get the ports of this gen. the cpu wasnt the problem. nintendo giving the Wii U a modern GPU with 2010 or better architecture will be on par with the GPU inside the ps4 and nextbox.

2. the Wii U pro controller. the alternative to the wii u gamepad. now(we have all heard and seen it similarities to the xbox360 controller) developers have a controller they can use(if they choose if they are not lazy) to use primarily for shooters and other games. we know the xbox 360 controller is the primary reason its the chosen console for shooters.

3. Miiverse. facebook is still the most popular thing in the world right now. at first i didnt get miiverse but now i do. "IF" nintendo is able to make miiverse the facebook of gaming i can see this console selling 100 million units. to have gamers interact in an everyday fashion with other gamers about what they are playing can take over the world just like the Wii did(maybe even more).

4. last but not least the Wii u gamepad. obviously this is the selling point of the console. "IF" nintendo gets it right with this controller it can literally change the electronic world as we know it. so there have been rumors of nintendo OS for Wii U being android influenced or actually running on android. but imagine what this device can do...video chat, internet, downloading your favorite apps, and controlling your tv(you can literally play your favorite game and watch tv at the same time). i believe nintendo will get some exclusives next gen because of the gamepad. i like(for a luanch period game) what ubisoft is doing with Zombi U. it just cant be done on xbox and playstation current consoles(we will have to wait and see if one of them decide to copy nintendo with their next gaming console controller). this controller can literally replace or prevent you from having to buy a tablet plus it plays your favorite nintendo franchises on it without lag.

all in all if 3rd patries dont bring their franchises to nintendo upcoming console it wont be nintendos fault. they have put a pretty good platform together for developers to be able to bring their games over successfully. we will just have to wait and see if and or what excuses they would use to deny us their franchises on nintendos upcoming home console.

#20 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

and you are forgetting something... developers who push too much into graphics and forget gameplay, are bound to kill themselves... do you know a high end graphics game cost as much as a movie costs? just look how many developers had to close down because their game sales did not break even.. yes, it is not a main factor for a developer to close down, but it contributes..

Kof*Ninja Gaiden 3*Kof...

i actually say the exact opposite. Nintendo has put itself in VERY good situation. here are my points as to why

1. the GPU having modern architecture. this alone was the reason the Wii wasnt able to get the ports of this gen. the cpu wasnt the problem. nintendo giving the Wii U a modern GPU with 2010 or better architecture will be on par with the GPU inside the ps4 and nextbox.

2. the Wii U pro controller. the alternative to the wii u gamepad. now(we have all heard and seen it similarities to the xbox360 controller) developers have a controller they can use(if they choose if they are not lazy) to use primarily for shooters and other games. we know the xbox 360 controller is the primary reason its the chosen console for shooters.

3. Miiverse. facebook is still the most popular thing in the world right now. at first i didnt get miiverse but now i do. "IF" nintendo is able to make miiverse the facebook of gaming i can see this console selling 100 million units. to have gamers interact in an everyday fashion with other gamers about what they are playing can take over the world just like the Wii did(maybe even more).

4. last but not least the Wii u gamepad. obviously this is the selling point of the console. "IF" nintendo gets it right with this controller it can literally change the electronic world as we know it. so there have been rumors of nintendo OS for Wii U being android influenced or actually running on android. but imagine what this device can do...video chat, internet, downloading your favorite apps, and controlling your tv(you can literally play your favorite game and watch tv at the same time). i believe nintendo will get some exclusives next gen because of the gamepad. i like(for a luanch period game) what ubisoft is doing with Zombi U. it just cant be done on xbox and playstation current consoles(we will have to wait and see if one of them decide to copy nintendo with their next gaming console controller). this controller can literally replace or prevent you from having to buy a tablet plus it plays your favorite nintendo franchises on it without lag.

all in all if 3rd patries dont bring their franchises to nintendo upcoming console it wont be nintendos fault. they have put a pretty good platform together for developers to be able to bring their games over successfully. we will just have to wait and see if and or what excuses they would use to deny us their franchises on nintendos upcoming home console.

Exactly. Plus Iwata wants the Wii U to change the world. It may seem idyllic, but it is totally possible since there's nothing like the Wii U on the market right now.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Ouya?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!