Photo

For those who didn't snag a pre-order...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 naadofett

naadofett

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

I watched the Wii U announcement once I got off work that day and knew plenty well when pre-orders would start. At the time, even as a Nintendo fan, I wasn't sure if the Wii U was going to be right for me. I loved the Wii for quite a while and then, as with many others, it just started to collect dust. I was super excited leading up to the announcement, but then for whatever reason I lost a little interest. So time for pre-orders came and went and by the time I considered looking into it again and was not shocked to see everything sold out.

My budget for the coming couple of months has changed and so I'm looking at getting a Wii U again. I went into one of my local GameStops yesterday and ended up getting on a "waiting list" with $0 down and the list for the 32gb model is apparently ~24 deep, which doesn't account for those who pre-ordered. Then I found this forum and the mention of Target pre-order cards available as of about a week ago. I knew a week later the cards would probably be gone and at both Target stores where I live there were no pre-order cards available. I didn't even bother with Best Buy or Walmart since I knew I'd have no luck there with pre-orders. I also went to my local Toys 'R' Us, but no luck there either. I expected all of this, but was hoping for a sliver of luck.

So, for those of us who didn't snag a pre-order... what are realistic options for launch day? I remember the days of the Wii in which I was able to wait in line more than once to get a Wii with friends and family, but it sounds like initial stock at stores will just be barely enough for presales. It sounds like there won't even be stock for those waiting in line. I know this is all my fault and I'm kicking myself for not pre-ordering, but it is what it is now. I just get a little concerned when the GameStop employee says (paraphrasing), "well, you will probably be able to get something by the end of January." Anybody have a finger on the pulse for launch day?

#2 Spleenzorio

Spleenzorio

Thwomp

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Basically you will be lucky to get one if you don't have a pre-order considering there are waiting lists everywhere, which wouldn't exist if there were enough consoles on launch day.
Posted Image

Nintendo ID: Spleenzorio

#3 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

So, for those of us who didn't snag a pre-order... what are realistic options for launch day?

Your realistic option is buying my ridiculously over priced scalping of my wii u on ebay..

#4 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Tere sold out everywhere in the UK, if you didn't pre order over here your basically screwed.

#5 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Try to get it from a store as early as possible, I think each store will have at least ONE Console without a Preorder.

#6 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

well im just speaking from what i know.
My gamestop only has enough wii u for the preorders. Which is about 8 deluxe and 23-25 basic. After that they are sold out till next shippment. which would then go to the people on the waiting list. and once that is filled. It will then go to walk ins.
So if your not preordered then you probably wont get one on launch day unless a alot of people back out.
Sorry but it is the truth. Keep me updated if you get one on launch day.
I preorder mines because i didnt want it to be like thw ii all over again. Where i didnt get mines for a lil over a month after launch.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#7 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

NOOOO! I didn't pre order!

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

^ dayum what a creative name

#8 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

I didn't preorder either, because my mother is determined "there will be stock held for Black Friday", that she won't have money on the 18th but magically will on Black Friday, and that no one knows of one particular GameStop lol. So basically the plan is to get there early, and snag any non-preorder stock before everyone else and... get non-existent Black Friday deals. (Okay, there might be some savings on the games and accessories.) Since that's how we got the Wii and other consoles I'm not too worried but... It is looking a bit like there won't be any spares at all. :/ Not that it really matters for me, since I won't be able to play it until the 25th of Dec, so I can get it a month after release and not care. (And a huge backlog to play in case I can't get one until 2013)
Posted Image

#9 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, Wal-Mart still has Deluxe Wii U's you can put in Layaway, I already put almost $100 into one so far.

Edited by SDDMN, 04 November 2012 - 12:48 PM.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#10 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, Wal-Mart still has Deluxe Wii U's you can put in Layaway, I already put almost $100 into one so far.

In North America?

Edit: Just realized Wal-Mart is North American, lol. Are you in Canada or the US?

Edited by Keanu Reeves, 04 November 2012 - 12:56 PM.

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

^ dayum what a creative name

#11 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

NOOOO! I didn't pre order!

NOOO NOT YOU!!!!!!!! D: (by the way get a signature...)

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#12 naadofett

naadofett

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'm in Southern California. I was under the impression that the Walmart layaway program for the Wii U had already ended.

#13 Wolfy

Wolfy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Fandom:
    snep baks n sweg

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

They're not selling out at all around here in Australia. I cancelled my pre-order because I doubt I would play it that much for a while and I want to save for a new gaming PC at the end of the year, so the Wii U can wait for me.

#14 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

It depends on where in the world you are located, i would think there are a few shops that will have some consoles available for anyone to walk in & buy, very limited numbers though.

#15 gregoryorizal

gregoryorizal

Spiny

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

I didn't pre order. And while I'm not getting one on launch day, I am hoping that Wal-Mart will have a few Deluxe consoles for purchase between Black Friday and Christmas...probably not though :(
Posted Image

#16 x-SourApple-x

x-SourApple-x

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

You will be extremely lucky to get one. They are sold out in the US and in the UK too. Not sure where you're from, but if you're from either of these places in the world, you will just have to wait. Also, when you queue up, it will be 1 per customer, so if you're thinking of buying 1 for you and 1 for another person in the family, then you won't be able to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/oswingaming
https://twitter.com/OswinGaming

I have sold my Wii U, so if I deleted you from NN before I sold it, or haven't accepted your friend request since, this is why.

#17 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

In North America?

Edit: Just realized Wal-Mart is North American, lol. Are you in Canada or the US?

I take that back. The layaway ended on November 1st. I thought it went on until November 10th. My bad everyone. >.<

yeah, I do live in the US.

Edited by SDDMN, 04 November 2012 - 03:47 PM.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#18 Skaar

Skaar

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

i have a little info on this.
if you didn't pre-order you have one shot to get a system before christmas.
all distribution companies took pre orders on promised shipments from august.
if they received more stock since then it will be in the initial shipment for launch.
so get there and camp out on launch night because once they sell out that is it until the second roll out which has been set by the manufacturer as" no sooner than late december".
so yeah walmart should definitely have a few outside of pre-orders at launch but thats it.. and everyone will be wanting it and waiting in lines to get them.
the sad thing is i foresee another gouging event like wii's launch where every shipment that came in was bought up by e-bay lurkers with massive credit cards and sold for double the price.
*EDIT* this info pertains to north american markets only.

Edited by Death Skaar, 04 November 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Posted Image

#19 naadofett

naadofett

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

I take that back. The layaway ended on November 1st. I thought it went on until November 10th. My bad everyone. >.<

yeah, I do live in the US.

I thought this was the case, but your post gave me a sliver... a very small sliver... of hope that maybe I could put one on layaway. Unfortunately after just going to Walmart and navigating that hole I was denied. No big surprise there. Oh well.

It would appear that as I initially figured (and other posted), without a pre-order, you're basically hosed for launch day. I'm not about to pay somebody an insane amount of money on Craigslist, Amazon, or eBay. So I guess it's good that I at least got on a GameStop waiting list yesterday. The guy said there were about 24 people waiting for the deluxe model after preorders were taken care of. So who knows how long it'll take a single GameStop to receive another 30 or so units.

i have a little info on this.
if you didn't pre-order you have one shot to get a system before christmas.
all distribution companies took pre orders on promised shipments from august.
if they received more stock since then it will be in the initial shipment for launch.
so get there and camp out on launch night because once they sell out that is it until the second roll out which has been set by the manufacturer as" no sooner than late december".
so yeah walmart should definitely have a few outside of pre-orders at launch but thats it.. and everyone will be wanting it and waiting in lines to get them.
the sad thing is i foresee another gouging event like wii's launch where every shipment that came in was bought up by e-bay lurkers with massive credit cards and sold for double the price.
*EDIT* this info pertains to north american markets only.

What's the source on this?

Edited by naadofett, 04 November 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#20 The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

I didn't preorder either, because my mother is determined "there will be stock held for Black Friday", that she won't have money on the 18th but magically will on Black Friday, and that no one knows of one particular GameStop lol. So basically the plan is to get there early, and snag any non-preorder stock before everyone else and... get non-existent Black Friday deals. (Okay, there might be some savings on the games and accessories.) Since that's how we got the Wii and other consoles I'm not too worried but... It is looking a bit like there won't be any spares at all. :/ Not that it really matters for me, since I won't be able to play it until the 25th of Dec, so I can get it a month after release and not care. (And a huge backlog to play in case I can't get one until 2013)

Maybe your mom gets paid on the following Fiday, you know every 2 weeks and it happens black Friday is her payday. But I do feel places like Best Buy will have some on Black Friday, but you will have to be in line a week before just to make sure you get one as they will only have 3.
Bbbbbbrrrraaaaaaiiiiiinnnnnssss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!