Photo

21K systems sold last week - Nintendos Wii U problems turn into a crisis.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
105 replies to this topic

#21 Mushlikeahusky

Mushlikeahusky

Thwomp

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Fandom:
    Banjo Kazooie

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

No offence, official Nintendo titles? Wake up! You're dreaming.

No i meant in general.
Posted Image

#22 SolxBurst

SolxBurst

Okami Amaterasu

• Writers
  • 630 posts
  • NNID:SolxBurst
  • Fandom:
    Okami, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I am sure that momentum will pick up in the very near future, games are not coming out right now and with games like (for example) Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Rayman Legends, and inevitable Nintendo titles announced for after the launch window, I'm sure it's just a matter of time... Tell me this stuff this time next year and I will be concerned, until then, I'm sure Nintendo has a few more tricks up their sleeves.

#23 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

That may be how you feel but I feel like the ports were done well. Yes glitches and bugs but this is a new console. Batman Arkham City is the best port ive played yet and they made it well worth my money by including everything the game of the year edition had and added new stuff. How many games have you played on the Wii U yet? You cant really say the stuff coming out is Shovel ware because its not. I dont consider E-Shop games like The Cave shovel ware. And I dont consider games like Aliens, Spiderman,Need for speed shovel ware either. If you play these on the wii u there are notable changes and differences. Like I stated before Arkham City doesn't even feel like the same game, why is that? Because Rocksteady took their time and reinvented it for the wii u.

The support is here. Nintendo isnt going to come out with all their weapons at once and when it comes to Decemeber and there are still no 1st party titles or big suprises then I will come back to you and apologize. Can you explain the problems you are having because I am an avid 360 fan. I play everything on it. But honestly if I have the option of playing the wii u version I do because the games run way better on the wii u than on my Xbox. Are you upset about 4 or 5 games not coming to the wii u? Bioshock, dead space?? We have other games to make up for those not coming. We aren't going to get games like Gears of war, or The last of us.

Honestly this is why half these games aren't coming to the wii u. When a dev makes a game they get a liscensing deal with the hardware manufacturer. They get or use dev kits from this company to develop for the console. The Wii U dev kit has been around for a while but not that long. This is why the 1st party games look better than the 3rd party games. This is also why some people might be having bad glitches or experiences with the ports. The dev kits for the 360 and ps3 are ancient and developers still have a lot of problems making games using them. When the 720 and the ps4 come out with new games don't count on 3rd partys making the big games first. It will be HALO 5 and Uncharted 4. You know why? Its because the studios that make these games get the earliest verison of the dev kits and have them months maybe even years earlier than the 3rd party companies such as ubisoft or Rockstar.

There is a learning curve with the new tech and once it is utilized and developers figure out the codes and how to implement them into their products you will see better ports and better first party games. The console has only been out for 4 or 5 months give it some time.

You're in fanboy mode now. I have three games for the Wii U (NSMBU, SATR, and Black Ops 2), at the moment. Besides Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Rayman Legends, nothing worth 60 dollars is coming out. I highly doubt that we'll get any new games announced before E3. Who's fault is that? Nintendo's fault for always being so surreptitious. They've failed at creating hype and momentum for this console. Instead of getting exclusive titles, we're getting water-down 360/PS3/PC ports of old games. Don't give me the whole "this console has been out x amount of time" excuse. The N64 launched with Super Mario 64 and Pilot Wings, the Gamecube launched with Luigi's Mansion and SSBM, what does the Wii U get? A 2.D Mario game where the music is greatly recycled and there's no creativity to be found anywhere.

Arkham City is the exact same game except it now takes advantage of the Wii U's tablet controls, why innovative, it simply doesn't change the experience dramatically. Don't you remember Nintendo telling us that the Wii U Gamepad would change the experience? I fail to see a game besides Arkham City that does this. Nintendo promised us Pikmin 3 at launch, do we get it? Nope we're stuck waiting till the Summer now to play it. I'm not saying Nintendo has to launch with their best "weapons" I'm saying they should of actually given us something to hold us over until E3.

Developers has had the most recent dev kits since May-June, that's plenty of time to work out the bugs/glitches with the new kits they've received. It's just plain laziness on the part of the 3rd party developers. I couldn't care less about Bioshock or Dead Space, I'm not a fan of those games. What I'm upset at it that the publishers were shown praising the Wii U and saying that they want their content on it but don't deliver anything worthwhile.

Point is that the developers had plenty of time to learn how the Wii works (since June 2011) and it's simply not fair that we're receiving these garbage ports instead of new titles. I thought the Wii U was supposed to be consider "next" gen but now it seems like it's affilated with the current gen.

Nintendo has to announce ANYTHING at this point! Otherwise the Wii U's sales will tank faster than the 3DS's did. You seem to believe Nintendo could do no harm, well they can. I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but defending them for their idiotic mistakes every time is ridiculous.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#24 Mushlikeahusky

Mushlikeahusky

Thwomp

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Fandom:
    Banjo Kazooie

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

You're in fanboy mode now. I have three games for the Wii U (NSMBU, SATR, and Black Ops 2), at the moment. Besides Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Rayman Legends, nothing worth 60 dollars is coming out. I highly doubt that we'll get any new games announced before E3. Who's fault is that? Nintendo's fault for always being so surreptitious. They've failed at creating hype and momentum for this console. Instead of getting exclusive titles, we're getting water-down 360/PS3/PC ports of old games. Don't give me the whole "this console has been out x amount of time" excuse. The N64 launched with Super Mario 64 and Pilot Wings, the Gamecube launched with Luigi's Mansion and SSBM, what does the Wii U get? A 2.D Mario game where the music is greatly recycled and there's no creativity to be found anywhere.

Arkham City is the exact same game except it now takes advantage of the Wii U's tablet controls, why innovative, it simply doesn't change the experience dramatically. Don't you remember Nintendo telling us that the Wii U Gamepad would change the experience? I fail to see a game besides Arkham City that does this. Nintendo promised us Pikmin 3 at launch, do we get it? Nope we're stuck waiting till the Summer now to play it. I'm not saying Nintendo has to launch with their best "weapons" I'm saying they should of actually given us something to hold us over until E3.

Developers has had the most recent dev kits since May-June, that's plenty of time to work out the bugs/glitches with the new kits they've received. It's just plain laziness on the part of the 3rd party developers. I couldn't care less about Bioshock or Dead Space, I'm not a fan of those games. What I'm upset at it that the publishers were shown praising the Wii U and saying that they want their content on it but don't deliver anything worthwhile.

Zombi U is a very good use of the gamepad too though.

Point is that the developers had plenty of time to learn how the Wii works (since June 2011) and it's simply not fair that we're receiving these garbage ports instead of new titles. I thought the Wii U was supposed to be consider "next" gen but now it seems like it's affilated with the current gen.

Nintendo has to announce ANYTHING at this point! Otherwise the Wii U's sales will tank faster than the 3DS's did. You seem to believe Nintendo could do no harm, well they can. I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but defending them for their idiotic mistakes every time is ridiculous.

I actually agree with a lot of the things you are saying. I think Nintendo is trying to hard to let the 3rd party titles shine. They need more games but its too late as of now I don't expect much until E3.

Edited by Mushlikeahusky, 19 January 2013 - 12:47 PM.

Posted Image

#25 DanJiblets

DanJiblets

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Halo

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Well a positive you can take from this, Nintendo has to pull something out of their sleeve. 3ds had this problem, and I got 20 free games out of it! We'll just have to sit back and see. I hope for the best, because this definitely is not looking good right now. I love the system, it just needs some games and an OS update.

#26 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

@ΖΙΝΙΧ

You speak about ports and you add the platform PC along with the others. You cant compare oranges with apples. Pc is the ground zero, we should pray all games being ports from PC, instead the other platforms, but unfortunately, they are not. But the "next gen consoles" that is going to sell this time with 400 bucks... what pc could do 4-5 years ago.

I love the tech wii U got and the next gen consoles will have, but in the today 360 and ps3 original prices... other than that, I feel I am robbed. Maybe because I ve seen that long ago... does that mean consoles lose their identity? maybe...

Edited by Orion, 19 January 2013 - 02:05 PM.

#27 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Getting fed up of all the doom and gloom posts...just enjoy the blooming console and games..have fun,its why you bought it....gheeeeeez

You get them with nearly every console release. The only time it didn't happen aftyer release in over a decade that I can recall is the wii. But the 3ds, the vita, the ps3, the 360 etc, they where all doooommmmeeeddddd according to the internet.

BTW, have people forgotten the wiiU outsold both the 360 and ps3 at there respective launches? Yes it in a lul atm, why? Because its just been Christmas and most who want one have bought it and there currently is nothing new being released to sell it. Nintendo and any logical person should have expected this.

@ΖΙΝΙΧ

You speak about ports and you add the platform PC along with the others. You cant compare oranges with apples. Pc is the ground zero, we should pray all games being ports from PC, instead the other platforms, but unfortunately, they are not. But the "next gen consoles" that is going to sell this time with 400 bucks... what pc could do 4-5 years ago.

I love the tech wii U got and the next gen consoles will have, but in the today 360 and ps3 original prices... other than that, I feel I am robbed. Maybe because I ve seen that long ago... does that mean consoles lose their identity? maybe...

Agreed, console gaming for me is near on dead and this next generation will likely be my last owning any of the systems unless they can give me a reason to stay, otherwise I shall shift entirely to pc which just provides for a notably better experience in near on every way at this current time.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 19 January 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#28 RJMacReady

RJMacReady

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Remember kids. Whenever the Wii U sells 21K units in a week in Japan, it's a crisis that will never turn around. When the Vita sells under 10K units a week for many months in Japan, there's still time to turn it around.

All there is to do is wait for the games. I'm sure sales will pick up when it gets more of its announced games released.

The press for the Vita has been pretty negative actually. I'm not seeing a double standard.

#29 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Consoles dont need innovations with the sleak designs, etc... they need improved IPs and new ips as exclusives, many... Porting games from platform to platform, kills the industry and the platforms itself, because always the strongest survives. The thing I dont understand is, we have improved in technological manners, but instead of having better quality services and experiences, with less costs and time of producing a product, we have less and less and more expensive... its more like going backwards.

That means, companies and those they call markets... are in crisis, its not the video gamers fault that they dont buy... its them. they have to look in the mirror.

the biggest cards nintendo have is maybe a...

1) mario mmo
2) pokemon mmo
3) zelda mmo (?)
4) a pre-metroid series!!! What happened in samus life or samus world as an action adventure (like dead space thing, or something like " the last of us" style game) something different but very nintendoish...
5) new internal darkness

etc

Edited by Orion, 19 January 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#30 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

A home console? Suffering? IN JAPAN?

What madness!

It is selling pretty mediocre in America, too, though. Hopefully it picks up.

#31 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

The press for the Vita has been pretty negative actually. I'm not seeing a double standard.

I was mainly talking about how Sony fans are acting in regards to this news and how they seem to ignore how the Vita is actually performing.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#32 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I was mainly talking about how Sony fans are acting in regards to this news and how they seem to ignore how the Vita is actually performing.

Expectations for sales are lower.
PSP didn't sell very well.
DS and Wii sold insane amounts.
When you set a bar high, and falter, people pay attention.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#33 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

When you set a bar high, and falter, people pay attention.

Actually, I think the rule is "If Nintendo falters, people pay attention." But I get your point. :P

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#34 BountyHunter

BountyHunter

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

I was watching IGN's Nintendo Video Chat last night and they made a very good point.

With the 3DS, there was a promise right away of an eShop with new 3DSware and GB/GBC/GBA virtual console games. Not only that, but we had a Zelda game coming out a few months after launch - sure, it was a remake, but it was a Zelda game nonetheless.

With the Wii U, aside from Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, and Lego City Undercover, we don't really have any first party games to really look forward to.

What they need to do is have a Nintendo Direct, and say "We're working on a new Mario, Zelda, and whatever. Here's a few screenshots to debate for a few months/weeks, until E3 when you get a lot of information. That's what they did with 3D Land, which was brilliant. This will show people that, yeah, there will be some cool games coming out, and it is worth getting.

Or, to make it better, they could hurry up with the Virtual Console, as there isn't one yet. Why not have Gamecube games? It should be easy to emulate. The only downfall I can think of is the fact that there are no analog triggers, but in a game like Super Mario Sunshine, that isn't really necessary to use.

Nintendo could do my screenshot idea and say, "But, for now, enjoy playing Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda Wind Waker and Luigi's Mansion on the virtual console! Other games coming at a later date!"

They need to preoccupy us with something. If this e3 doesn't announce a ton of great AAA games, then the Wii U might be in trouble for a while.

And to the person that said that we shouldn't worry about sales and just play our system - if the console doesn't sell well, we won't get many games/support from other developers.

#35 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

The end is nigh...

Its time to bail out now gentleman.....time to jump ship (if you will)

Put your consoles on ebay and take whatever you can get... cut your losses and SELL SELL SELL

Edited by Mitch13pavel, 19 January 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#36 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Just wait until e3. I think a few people will be surprised. I can't say any more than that as I don't want to implicate myself and cause drama for the other forum I write reviews for.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#37 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Don't worty too much. I expect an 'onlive-esque' company too supply API's the way Youtube, Netfix, HBO Go, do right now. With serverside computing we don't need fast consoles. I thought next gen would be all about this, it seems its not but I can't imagine it not being the breakthrough revolution in gaming in the next couple of years.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#38 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/nintendo-wii-u-problems-turn-crisis-202924144.html
This is really bad guys. It's selling worse than the 3DS did.

Not a doom and gloom post, it's just a fact this is selling worst than the 3DS did at launch.
Nintendo decides to announce something, we have nothing in the upcoming months beside Rayman Legends and MH3.

This is a doom and gloom thread. Anyone who thinks these sales numbers mean doom and gloom for the console are just being paranoid.

Seriously man really? This and the games the Wii U already has are 50x what the next box and ps4 will do at launch. They will have like 4 games a piece and people will call them geniuses.

And you know this how ? Do you have some kind of magical crystal ball. You don't know any more then anyone else what the launch line up is going to be like for those consoles.

And why do people complain about getting ports and then complain when we dont get them? That makes no sense. Nintendo is giving everyone what they wanted. BOOKOO third party support.
Between all these wii u games. Bioshock infinite, Dead space 3, the last of us. I dont see how anyone can complain.

People have every right to complain about ports especially when they are of games that were released several months or even over a year before on the other consoles. Even the ports are enhanced it doesn't justify them when the same resources could have been put towards developing new games. Third parties basically took the easy way out as they knew ports would cost them less as they use most of the same assets. If they were serious about supporting the Wii U then they would have released new games whether they were exclusives or ports. Ubisoft is the only third party that has any inclination of supporting the console with new games. As for games like Bioshock, Dead Space and The Last Of Us they aren't coming to the Wii U. Personally I'm fortunate to own all the consoles but a lot of people are not so those games mean nothing to them.

Agreed, console gaming for me is near on dead and this next generation will likely be my last owning any of the systems unless they can give me a reason to stay, otherwise I shall shift entirely to pc which just provides for a notably better experience in near on every way at this current time.

Good luck with all the installation and driver issues. Also good luck with the expenditure of upgrading the components every six months to a year.

#39 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

This is a doom and gloom thread. Anyone who thinks these sales numbers mean doom and gloom for the console are just being paranoid.

And you know this how ? Do you have some kind of magical crystal ball. You don't know any more then anyone else what the launch line up is going to be like for those consoles.

People have every right to complain about ports especially when they are of games that were released several months or even over a year before on the other consoles. Even the ports are enhanced it doesn't justify them when the same resources could have been put towards developing new games. Third parties basically took the easy way out as they knew ports would cost them less as they use most of the same assets. If they were serious about supporting the Wii U then they would have released new games whether they were exclusives or ports. Ubisoft is the only third party that has any inclination of supporting the console with new games. As for games like Bioshock, Dead Space and The Last Of Us they aren't coming to the Wii U. Personally I'm fortunate to own all the consoles but a lot of people are not so those games mean nothing to them.

Good luck with all the installation and driver issues. Also good luck with the expenditure of upgrading the components every six months to a year.

It not actually as bad as people think , hell I used to game on the pc with an old ati 4200 (overclocked ) that thing was intigrated and ati yet I had hardly no problems with it and it played most every game and I had it for years.

#40 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

The Cave Jan 22nd

I love double fine, but this is an eshop title. No one counts these, we want FULL games.

Fist of the North star:Kens rage 2 jan
licensed crap.

Ray man Legends febuary 26th
sidescroller, while neat, not even close to the meaty adventures people buy systems for.

Spiderman March 19th
licensed crap.

Lego City March 18th
Im not 12, lego games practically play themselves.

Monster Hunter 3 ultimate March 19th
Im getting this, but come on dude, I played tri years ago.

Need for speed most wanted March
Need for speed. I could have this and a million others on my ps3/360 if i didnt think nfs became boring garbage a long time ago. Excite truck would be awesome.

Aliens Colonial Marines March
A month after i can get it for my ps3/360.

The Walking Dead;survival Instinct March 26th
seriously?

Injustice:Gods among us April
So, why shouldnt I just get this on my ps3/360 I already own?

The wonderful 101 Q2
No matter how awesome vj, okami, bayonetta or any other clover/platinum games are, they are always niche and never system sellers.

Disney Infinity June
seriously?

Dragon Quest X Q2-3
Eenix needs to burn in the deepest pits of hell so squaresoft can once again be free not too suck.

Pikmin 3 April-May
Pikmin is nice, and im getting it, but nobody buys a system for pikmin.

Game and Wario Q-2
Yay, mini game collections. Totally a system seller.

Bayonetta 2 ???
Already explained clover/platinum.
What more do you want them to announce right now??? 0.0

There is nothing coming that would convince ANYONE to buy a system for it. The best are either completely niche, or avwilable on ps3/360.

What do I expect? This time in the cubes life we were looking at freaking metroid prime. This time in wiis life we already had twilight princess were looking at previews of galaxy. This time in n64's life we had mario 64 and were looking at oot.

What do i expect? I expect a main course instead of appetizers. I expect a big meaty exclusive game worth buying a system for.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!