routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

What is Wii U's bandwidth now with this GPU info when not relying on eDram? Just wondering if the 12.8 GB from anandtech is correct or not.

12.8GB/s for the DDR3, Anandtech had no info on the 140GB/s EDRAM in the GPU. Wii U definitely has the most complicated, and the most tightly designed memory architecture out of all of the 8th gen consoles.

#162 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

The wierd thing about reading this thread, is it reads like no one has actually seen wii u games in real life. The eurogamer article seems right on the money. The wii u is clearly current gen performance overall but with a higher performance gpu but lower performance cpu.

If you are reading this thread and considering a purchase of wii u I would check out real world performance first. I'm loving the wii u but this thread actually reads like people are expecting some massive improvement in wii u performance and that current wii u games aren't the real benchmark of what the wii u can achieve.

Some of that silicon will be the original wii gpu and 3 megabytes of memory. Maybe the 32 megabytes of fast video memory doubles as the 24megabytes of main wii memory.

Dare I mention the real world where some wii u games have reduced resolution, weaker frame rates, missing a.i, missing physics, reduced sound channels, missing 3D support, missing graphical effects and I'm sure other things I've forgotten.

Even Nintendo's own titles Nintendo World and Mario are technically weak.

The wii u is NIntendo's entry into the current gen with regard performance, in some ways its stronger and in some ways its weaker.

I'm sure a big part of the failure of the wii u so far is its weak specification. We all wish it had a stronger spec but it doesn't. The fact is, the wii u has absolutely no chance of competing with the new xbox and playstation on a technical level. It's only just competing with the current gen consoles.

I strongly suggest people who really want to understand the potential performance of the wii u look elsewhere on the internet to more balanced viewpoints and always factor in realworld performance of games.

#163 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

The wierd thing about reading this thread, is it reads like no one has actually seen wii u games in real life. The eurogamer article seems right on the money. The wii u is clearly current gen performance overall but with a higher performance gpu but lower performance cpu.

If you are reading this thread and considering a purchase of wii u I would check out real world performance first. I'm loving the wii u but this thread actually reads like people are expecting some massive improvement in wii u performance and that current wii u games aren't the real benchmark of what the wii u can achieve.

Some of that silicon will be the original wii gpu and 3 megabytes of memory. Maybe the 32 megabytes of fast video memory doubles as the 24megabytes of main wii memory.

Dare I mention the real world where some wii u games have reduced resolution, weaker frame rates, missing a.i, missing physics, reduced sound channels, missing 3D support, missing graphical effects and I'm sure other things I've forgotten.

The wii u is NIntendo's entry into the current gen with regard performance, in some ways its stronger and in some ways its weaker.

I'm sure a big part of the failure of the wii u so far is its weak specification. We all wish it had a stronger spec but it doesn't. The fact is, the wii u has absolutely no chance of competing with the new xbox and playstation on a technical level. It's only just competing with the current gen consoles.

I strongly suggest people who really want to understand the potential performance of the wii u look elsewhere on the internet to more balanced viewpoints and always factor in realworld performance of games.

Because 2 times the power of a Xbox360 is so last-gen.

Of course it won't be competing with the new Xbox and PlayStation on a technical level. Everybody knows that. That was never Nintendo's intention.

But does that make the Wii U less next-gen and/or less competitive? No, because there's a lot more to take into account when talking next gen than just raw horsepower.

Edited by Arkhandar, 09 February 2013 - 12:34 PM.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#164 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

I'd say wii u is about 4x 360.

The CPU Is far auperior in many areas. The gpu eats the 360's, poops it out and feeds it to the ps3. It is FAR, FAR better.

The RAM is far better. And the way it is organized is pure brain.

Blu-ray media (proprietary) eliminates any shortcoming in terms of delivery.

There is nothing last gen about the wii u capabilities. It's a next gen machine. Will it get out powered by omni station and new Xbox? Yes. It will. They are throwing more money (and charging more) with over a years worth of new technology ;along with the decrease in price).

But will it be so much that the wii u cannot compete? Like the Wii? Not at all.

It will compare favorably in cases where actual development effort was put in.

Not only does it pack more power than 360, it is far more efficient, in essence proving even more "power."

And the reason the launch games lOok only slightly better than 360 games has to do with the fact that some of then ARE 360 games.

The rest started life In the wii or the 360. Even the exclusives.

We will see new things at e3.

That argument can test until then.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 09 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#165 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

I'd say wii u is about 4x 360.

The CPU Is far auperior in many areas. The gpu eats the 360's, poops it out and feeds it to the ps3. It is FAR, FAR better.

The RAM is far better. And the way it is organized is pure brain.

Blu-ray media (proprietary) eliminates any shortcoming in terms of delivery.

There is nothing last gen about the wii u capabilities. It's a next gen machine. Will it get out powered by omni station and new Xbox? Yes. It will. They are throwing more money (and charging more) with over a years worth of new technology ;along with the decrease in price).

But will it be so much that the wii u cannot compete? Like the Wii? Not at all.

It will compare favorably in cases where actual development effort was put in.

Not only does it pack more power than 360, it is far more efficient, in essence proving even more "power."

And the reason the launch games lOok only slightly better than 360 games has to do with the fact that some of then ARE 360 games.

The rest started life In the wii or the 360. Even the exclusives.

We will see new things at e3.

That argument can test until then.

I completly agree with you. The true power of the Wii U really is its efficiency, and believe me, that's going to later translate into excellent games, if development is well managed.

4x the power of the 360 is way too optimistic though. It's more in the 2x-3x ballpark.

But nevertheless, the Wii U will surely reach its peak performance than the 360 or PS3 ever did, because of, you guessed it, its marvelous efficiency.

Edited by Arkhandar, 09 February 2013 - 01:17 PM.

Posted Image

#166 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Your argument applies to basically every console launch in the history of gaming save the first gen. That's why everyone is curious about what the system is capable of, because it will still take years for developers to realize and take advantage of its full potential. So no, current titles, built for older hardware or ported from older hardware with completely different performance characteristics is not a benchmark for what the system can and will do. You talk of potential performance like the conclusion was written before the start.

If you were reading this thread and think we are making a case for or against buying a wii u please reread, like, all of it. Can't some people just geek out a little without people taking the entire conversation too seriously from a sales perspective and making sweeping conclusions about the intentions of Nintendo or the fate of the console itself? Whether good or bad, learning about the deep level hardware characteristics and discussing them is fun and exciting for some people.

#167 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

the 12.8 gb was only for the dd3... but now we know that wii U overall is 146 gb

Edited by Orion, 09 February 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#168 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

I can cope with the silly ponys. Hopefully whatever Retro are working on will be visually stunning and prove to third parties that they're just whining *******

Im sure after our amazing E3 this year we will win everyone over. My body is Reggie!

Signature_DK.png

#169 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

MS development contract requires other version not to be better than 360(later 720) version. if both consuls end up having something better in some way, they will be gimped do to this rule. this may be droped if 720 ends up lacking on games, which would mkae competetion spread and each system have a best version. hech they may gimp trine 2 to be on par with 360 version =(.

The real issue is how hard is it to code for the Wii U ?

Coding for the X360 is very easy from what developers have said, the PS3 with it's design is hard to code for, the next gen PS4 though developers have said is easy to code for but the X720 is not as easy as the PS4 is, they have already said that the Wii U is a little difficult to code for because of the chip architecture.

Developers are lazy they always want more power, the more power you have to play with the lazier you can be at coding, there is already plenty of chatter about games in development for the PS4 & X720 more in-fact than is being mentioned about Wii U games in development, many of the current Wii U games are just tarted up ports of old games, even Fifa on the Wii U is last years game & not the same version as Fifa 13 on the PS3/X360, the Wii U is not getting a release of Tomb Raider for example & it is not getting Aliens the same time as the X360 or PS3 even though it has been from the start developed for the Wii U, they have already said that the Wii U is the best version but only because of the motion tracker on the gamepad, they have said nothing about the graphics or physics of the game being any better on the Wii U even though it is more powerful than the X360/PS3, if Aliens is exactly the same on the Wii U as it is on the PS3/X360 then the Wii U is doomed to fail in the long-term.

Edited by alan666, 09 February 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#170 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

they have already said that the Wii U is the best version but only because of the motion tracker on the gamepad, they have said nothing about the graphics or physics of the game being any better on the Wii U even though it is more powerful than the X360/PS3, if Aliens is exactly the same on the Wii U as it is on the PS3/X360 then the Wii U is doomed to fail in the long-term.

u are wrong... he said it... "better visuals" http://www.eurogamer...ore-modern-tech

"
The Wii U's power, though, is "one thing I can't talk about", he said. "Actually nailing the specs, they haven't come out with them yet."
But, the Wii U version of Aliens will "be better" than the PS3 and Xbox 360 version in terms of visuals, he confirmed. Why? Because of "more modern tech".
What Burleson is alluding to here is the suggestion that because the Wii U contains modern components, it will by default be more powerful than the ageing PS3 and Xbox 360.
How, exactly, will it be better? "You'll have to wait and see," Burleson teased. "Just trust me on that one."

I like his point... wii U is by defult more powerfull than ps360... what that means?

Edited by Orion, 09 February 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#171 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

u are wrong... he said it... "better visuals" http://www.eurogamer...ore-modern-tech

"
The Wii U's power, though, is "one thing I can't talk about", he said. "Actually nailing the specs, they haven't come out with them yet."
But, the Wii U version of Aliens will "be better" than the PS3 and Xbox 360 version in terms of visuals, he confirmed. Why? Because of "more modern tech".
What Burleson is alluding to here is the suggestion that because the Wii U contains modern components, it will by default be more powerful than the ageing PS3 and Xbox 360.
How, exactly, will it be better? "You'll have to wait and see," Burleson teased. "Just trust me on that one."

I like his point... wii U is by defult more powerfull than ps360... what that means?

To put it simple. A more modern architecture means that you get more power and performance (latest shader models, Open CL/GL, etc.) while using less energy.

Edited by Arkhandar, 10 February 2013 - 04:59 AM.

Posted Image

#172 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

performance is relevant... if the game is developed for wii u and downgraded to xbox standards for xbox and ps3... then we will see performance... But I also remember sega said, wii U edition is not a port... So I expect better textures, better lighting and better tessellation...

Edited by Orion, 10 February 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#173 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

Sorry dude, didnt you know? your shenanigans finally ran out of time. Nintendo showed off monolithsofts project in alpha/beta, which is a large open world game which, even in beta/alpha makes open world games on ps360 look tiny, slow, and kinda crappy....

And thats just the tip of the iceberg, nintendo has buttloads of exclusive ground up projects they will be slowly unveiling from now to e3 via nintendo directs.

Edited by 3Dude, 10 February 2013 - 05:47 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#174 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

So, if I understand well what is going on over here, that's one weirdo GPU, right?
Posted Image

#175 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Sorry dude, didnt you know? your shenanigans finally ran out of time. Nintendo showed off monolithsofts project in alpha/beta, which is a large open world game which, even in beta/alpha makes open world games on ps360 look tiny, slow, and kinda crappy....

And thats just the tip of the iceberg, nintendo has buttloads of exclusive ground up projects they will be slowly unveiling from now to e3 via nintendo directs.

From what we've seen so far, while still looking awesome, the game looks to be in the alpha phase.

Just compare the original Xenoblade trailer (E3 2009) and the final product and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

E3 2009 (Monado:Begging of the World):

Xenoblade Chronicles:

Edited by Arkhandar, 10 February 2013 - 09:28 AM.

Posted Image

#176 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hey Mr. Negative, we get your point you don't need to say this in every damn thread!

#177 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

From what we've seen so far, while still looking awesome, the game looks to be in the alpha phase.
Just compare the original Xenoblade trailer (E3 2009) and the final product and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
E3 2009 (Monado:Begging of the World):

Xenoblade Chronicles:

Yup definately early.

And even this early, the scale, geometry, and textures destroy any open world game the 360 has. At one point in the trailer one of the enemies leaps into the camera, and its texture is still razor sharp, down to veins and pores.

makes skyrim looky tiny, low poly, and poorly textured.

Edited by 3Dude, 10 February 2013 - 11:40 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#178 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hey Mr. Negative, we get your point you don't need to say this in every damn thread!

He doesn't have a point.
He's a troll on the order of rolledup20s.
"oh, I like wii U. Too bad it sucks." tends to be the motto. Lol
Every forum has them.

#179 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

He doesn't have a point.
He's a troll on the order of rolledup20s.
"oh, I like wii U. Too bad it sucks." tends to be the motto. Lol
Every forum has them.

Well, she does know what she's talking about. So I didn't think she was trolling. But now, I can see that she is trolling

Edited by Soul, 10 February 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#180 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

wow. Apparantly it really is true. I chalked it up to just rumour, but its being confirmed by multiple sources.

Nintendo has given out no documentation whatsoever to third parties for Latte, and a severely stripped down manual for espresso.

Lol, wtf Nintendo? You guys crazy.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!