314 replies to this topic

#201 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

All i see is abunch of green squares and rectangle......WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!!? :S

Edited by meitantei_conan, 14 February 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#202 PS3WIIIUfan

PS3WIIIUfan

Blooper

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Silent Hill,Socom,Mario,Zelda,GT

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

its going to be fun when ps4 and 720 come out...Wii U clear winner in my books i bealive in this system..
Ps3 Ultra Slim 1tb
Ps Vita
Wii U 32gb/Zombiu/Black Ops 2
Nintendo Network ID:S.K_Kulczycky2k
Posted Image

#203 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

All i see is abunch of green squares and rectangle......WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!!? :S

You know what icore cpu's are?

its like the i3 vs the i5. Yeah, they are both icores.... but.... yeah.

The wii's broadway was a 750cle. the wii u's espresso is what appears to be a 750fx (or greater, it looks like it was a really tough die to acid wash... and its been left a little... washed out looking, im sure someone will put some contrast on it soon enough) Its bigger, meaner, older brother... Except there are three of them, all on speed, and one also on pcp and steroids.

Edited by 3Dude, 14 February 2013 - 08:25 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#204 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

first comment is, that it has nothing to do with 750

Oh its definately a 750. But its NOT a 750cle.

But this is the gpu thread. Not a cpu thread. The subjects should be kept seperate, as they are very different.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#205 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

lmao same here. i go on these threads to see if this is good or bad compared to the orbis and durango and everything i read goes way over my head.

#206 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

lmao same here. i go on these threads to see if this is good or bad compared to the orbis and durango and everything i read goes way over my head.

Orbis and durango have 8 core jaguars, compared to the 3cores here.... And the are clocked slightly higher.

Thats 2 1/3 times the number of cpu cores, and unlike the 360/ps3, which had gimped versions of the garbage ppc 970.... These are solid performing cores. Im very pleased they chose jaguar over a disaster waiting to happen like bulldozer.

That being said... Its a good thing for them they have 8 cores and the wii u cpu doesnt...... Core for core, clock to clock.... I think people might end up being... somewhat surprised.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#207 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Orbis and durango have 8 core jaguars, compared to the 3cores here.... And the are clocked slightly higher.

Thats 2 1/3 times the number of cpu cores, and unlike the 360/ps3, which had gimped versions of the garbage ppc 970.... These are solid performing cores. Im very pleased they chose jaguar over a disaster waiting to happen like bulldozer.

That being said... Its a good thing for them they have 8 cores and the wii u cpu doesnt...... Core for core, clock to clock.... I think people might end up being... somewhat surprised.

what do you mean by being somewhat surprised?

#208 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

what do you mean by being somewhat surprised?

Criterion werent kidding when they said this thing can punch above its weight. It has weaknesses, yeah, simd (But while they may be considered a 'weakness', the paired singles simd can still take care of some business)

The 750 family was officially terminated a long time ago, but ibm's new post 970 stuff, its all 750 design philosophy. Smaller, cooler, less power draw, shorter piped, bigger caches.

IBM was planning a ppc750 to replace the disasterous 32 bit ppc 7400's (g4's the basis of the 64 bit g5's, what would eventually be the basis of both xenon and cell)

It was the ppc750Vx, and at 2Ghz, a vertex engine and just 1 core, it could handidly outperformed, say even a hypothetical tricore g4 clocked considerably higher... at much, much less power draw. Which would have placed it paralell to the g5 as a replacement to the g4 in low power systems.

Vx never saw the light of day because apple ended their partnership with ibm over the piss poor performance of the 970 (failing, leaking, and even bursting liquid cooling systems left many, many customers very, very, unhappy, and apple very embarrassed), continued inability to deliver products to promised specifications, or on time (like the g4, or the troubles with the 750vx actually reaching the promised 2Ghz), and intel waving the i7 aroumd, which delivered on all of ibms failed promises... and forged an alliance with intel, creating the rise of the icore... and heralding the fall of powermac.

The 750 series isnt something that can be foolishly written off as 'lol gc/wii cpu' just because the numbers and letters ppc750 appear. There is more than one entry in the series; the gc and wii (cx and cle) Those are the littlest babies of a family of unknown size. And the members we DO know of, are much, much, more powerful than gekko and broadway.

Went back over and 'un cell phoned' my breif explanation since it seemed to be causing confusion.

Edited by 3Dude, 15 February 2013 - 11:31 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#209 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Criterion werent kidding when they said this thing can punch above its weight. It has weaknesses, yeah, simd (But while they may be considered a 'weakness', the paired singles simd can still take care of some business)

The 750 family was officially terminated a long time ago, but ibm's new post 970 stuff, its all 750 design philosophy. Smaller, cooler, less power draw, shorter piped, bigger caches.

IBM was planning a ppc750 to replace the disasterous 64bit ppc 970 (g4's/g5's, what would eventually be the basis of both xenon and cell)

It was the ppc750Vx, and at 2Ghz and 1 core, it could handidly outperform entry level tricore g4's clocked considerably higher.

Vx never saw the light of day because apple ended their partnership with ibm over the piss poor performance of the 970, and forged a an alliance with intel, creating the icore.

The 750 series isnt something that can be foolishly written off as 'lol gc/wii cpu' just because the numbers and letters ppc750 appear. the gc and wii (cx and cle) Those are the littlest babies of a family of unknown size. And the members we DO know of, are much, much, more powerful.

i understood about 30% of that lol. but what ur saying is that the wii u can hold its own against the orbis and durango?

#210 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

i understood about 30% of that lol. but what ur saying is that the wii u can hold its own against the orbis and durango?

core for core clock for clock?

It probably outdoes them in several areas.

Unfortunately, it has less than half the cores, and less clocks.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#211 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

I've got some research to do on the PPC line. I know AMD core modules don't exactly deliver on IPC, maybe that was fixed with Jaguar.

#212 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

Well, I'm not particularly intelligent when it comes to computer chip hardware for the most part. I can't possibly understand half the stuff that 3Dude says, but I try, and most of the time if I ditch the proper names of pieces for names of Pokemon I get it. I've basically come to the conclusion that "If 3Dude says it good, it good."

But one of the most amazing thing about this picture, in my opinion, is that the majority of the right half looks like a road map for an metropolitan area. It makes me want to play Advance Wars or Sim City.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#213 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

the guys on neogaf tryed to create a profile arround the wii cpu, but I gave them the info 3dude speaks about (I told them its from a specwise guy in wii U community) and now I turned the tide a bit and they find it very interesting... hehe

ps: I didnt gave ur name 3dude, u have to give it if u want.. but i told them that its not my info.

#214 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

core for core clock for clock?

It probably outdoes them in several areas.

Unfortunately, it has less than half the cores, and less clocks.

so each wiiU CPU core does noticably more than the dirango/orbis core but there is enough core in durango/orbis that they overall should preform better.

#215 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

I've got some research to do on the PPC line. I know AMD core modules don't exactly deliver on IPC, maybe that was fixed with Jaguar.

Yeah, the bobcat architecture was pretty dang good, and jaguar is an improvement. MUCH better than things like bulldozer, which look impressive on paper but absolutely fall apart and start bleeding out ipc in real world applications.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#216 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

so then all those rumors about the cpu sucking aren't true then?

#217 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

if as 3dude said is an FX or VX chip, it may be even better than 360... not as an overall performance, but just for the games.

360 may have 3 cores 6 threads, but only 1 core 2 threads are for the game.... the others are for the sound, os, etc. So yes, 1v1(2 threads) core... wii U seems to be a winner.

as for 720... it has 8 cores and it is known from now that 720 will use 2 hungry elements.... kenect 4 cores and windows 8!!! another 2 cores? 1 core for the sound and 1 core for the game? And if it comes along with a screen controller... Then yes, definitely, 1 core for the game. Microsoft, dont have dedicated sound chip, so 1 cpu core does the job.

Orbis sounds more powerfull..

Edited by Orion, 15 February 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#218 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

the guys on neogaf tryed to create a profile arround the wii cpu, but I gave them the info 3dude speaks about (I told them its from a specwise guy in wii U community) and now I turned the tide a bit and they find it very interesting... hehe
ps: I didnt gave ur name 3dude, u have to give it if u want.. but i told them that its not my info.

ha, some seem to be misinterpereting what i meant.

Heh, and their 'gekko' die they are using for comparison isnt the gekko. Theres no internal l2

When i said the vx would replace entry level g4's, i indeed meant g4's, and not g5's. (there are no such things as tricore g4's, my statement was to demonstrate how much more powerful the vx would have been over entry level 7400 based g4's) It would have been commercially paralell to the g5, used in high end laptops/ibooks of the time, opposed to the g5 in desktop models, replacing the ppc7400 design that had caused apple so much embarrasment (they actually had to publicly take back advertisements they made about clock speeds of the g4)... That the 970 was also based off of.... everythings based off of something.

And yeah, the g5 performed horribly, when you have a chip that is so hot it has to be liquid cooled by a ridiculous contraption, that then begins leaking goo all over your desk and floor, when it looks like a car radiator blew under your desk, it is not what id consider a good performance (ah, Yeah, maybe I shouldnt have used the word performance for this without specifying i wasnt talking about processing power), and following the embarrasment apple had at the hands of the g4, it proved to be one of the main contributing factors of the end of powermac, especially with the looming i7 looking like cheese smothered bacon in bbq sauce to apple. Definately a miserable performance from ibm.

Im pretty sure the 970 was used as the basis of the power processing element at the core of both xenon and cell, with some big customizations, like the removal of OoO. Xenon even uses the good old vmx/altivec... hrm, well, I guess you could also equate that to being based off the 7400, everythings based off of something. Early 360 devkits were practically straight g5's.

But i dont believe this is a 750VX, i just mentioned it would amuse me, because the vx never saw the light of day, apple gave ibm the boot before it was released commercially. I think the vx would be too large, plus, wed totally see a vmx unit.

These look to be fx based, gx's would seem to be too large (at 90nm, the were roughly20mm squared larger than fx). Fx's with smp capability and nintendos gekko/broadway customizations to the 750 line. so... 750FLe?

Shrunk down, clocked higher, AND multicore... Huge processing gains, low power draw, and bc. Pretty clever.

Edited by 3Dude, 16 February 2013 - 05:47 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#219 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

I am not an owl HAHAHAHA... kidding... but wii U cpu is interesting indeed... I feel confident. But many there adopted and understood that its not a wii cpu... thats good, they will find out faster and more clearly, what wii U hides.

Edited by Orion, 15 February 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#220 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

I am not an owl HAHAHAHA... kidding... but wii U cpu is interesting indeed... I feel confident. But many there adopted and understood that its not a wii cpu... thats good, they will find out faster and more clearly, what wii U hides.

Yeah, im pretty pleased with the little bugger.

I just never understood how people inherently understood there were multiple entries in every processor line... i3's<i5's<i7's... Nobody sees an i7 and goes 'lol i3'.

Yet the 750 line was always immediately LOL gamecube/wii! As if there was only ever one processor in the 750 family.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!