Photo

Does my opinion offend you, or do you just disagree with it?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Perhaps this should be a distinction when locking threads where people seem to be disagreeing and spamming images.
Perhaps those spamming images to troll the opening poster should receive punishment for that, and the thread not locked for them not adding anything to the discussion.
After all, message boards are for discussion and debate, in the non-spam forums at least.

I think discussion will inevitably bring disagreement, but have people been offended by the two recent clashes of opinion is my question of moderation.
I don't think pre-emptive strikes are good, someone should be punished when their actions go too far.
They can't go too far if you stifle discussion, and the repeat offenders will become clear without any action being taken against them, turning them into a genital wart of the forum.

Is a simple clash of opinion a good enough reason for threads to be locked?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#2 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

i actually dont know why people spam images.......it happened in the atheist thread, cat hate thread and quite a few others

wjapt2.jpg

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

i actually dont know why people spam images.......it happened in the atheist thread, cat hate thread and quite a few others

They don't want to put words into their posts because they can't think of anything witty, so they regurgitate memes in image form.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

They don't want to put words into their posts because they can't think of anything witty, so they regurgitate memes in image form.

true, what would you think if they used an image to support there point?

wjapt2.jpg

#5 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Posted Image

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#6 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Perfect example of what you meant nollog

http://i.imgur.com/FcNssgF.jpg

wjapt2.jpg

#7 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

If you disagree with my opinion you're obviously trolling.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

They're helpful aides, but posting an image and nothing else has always been frowned upon at every message board I've been a member of, except 3dsforums.com where it was actively encouraged and I assume still is.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

I'm all for debates and fine disagreements, but it seems not all the members here are really mature enough for it.
It ends up that I typically find the thread after it has 2 pages of nonsense and there is no way to re-rail it.

It seems to me that plenty of the users here are willing to support thread de-railing and nonsense, making it hard to fix a thread if it has already been attacked.

#10 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'm all for debates and fine disagreements, but it seems not all the members here are really mature enough for it.
It ends up that I typically find the thread after it has 2 pages of nonsense and there is no way to re-rail it.

It seems to me that plenty of the users here are willing to support thread de-railing and nonsense, making it hard to fix a thread if it has already been attacked.

You could take away privileges.
Like how we teach a child how not to steal.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#11 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Any topic no matter how simple can lead to rage posts. Clashes of opinion are not reason for being punished alone, but the form of the clash of opinion is. There are tons of people who will maturely give their opinion, others will try to push their opinion as word and get angry, others will be straight up dicks that your opinion is wrong and they are right. I think it depends on the scenario and what the person is doing. I'm all for banning complete dicks.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#12 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

You could take away privileges.
Like how we teach a child how not to steal.

Well, if you think I'm being too lenient, I suppose I could give it a try if such things happen again. The only issue is that the punishments aren't very light.

#13 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

It really depends on how they state their opinion. Some will state their opinion with supporting details. Others would just do it for the sake of being jackasses and to piss members off.

#14 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Discussion is good. It's a good thing to have, but these discussions are getting way to opinionated and everyone is trying to tell everyone else that their opinions are wrong. Then people get offended by this and start a war. My thoughts are to just leave most threads that have to do with opinion out of the forums or if you see one that you disagree with, just don't post there. It's as simple as that people.

#15 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Discussion is good. It's a good thing to have, but these discussions are getting way to opinionated and everyone is trying to tell everyone else that their opinions are wrong. Then people get offended by this and start a war. My thoughts are to just leave most threads that have to do with opinion out of the forums or if you see one that you disagree with, just don't post there. It's as simple as that people.

Why don't we just stop visiting forums where thought and expression of those thoughts are allowed then, that would solve everything.

Well, if you think I'm being too lenient, I suppose I could give it a try if such things happen again. The only issue is that the punishments aren't very light.

Depends on what you mean by light.
A pm saying to calm it down a bit is enough for some people, others need to be warned by the board itself, others need to be banned to stop.
Repeat offenders should have their punishment escalated, but it's tough to escalate them just because they're repeating their mistakes.
You should use your own judgement but allow them to explain and/or apologise, using you judgement again to decide if they mean it.
For the ones that need to be banned, eventually thin ice forms and no choice will be left.

But dunno, that's just my opinion on it.
I'm all for second and twenty-ninth chances, but there'll be a line somewhere.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#16 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Why don't we just stop visiting forums where thought and expression of those thoughts are allowed then, that would solve everything.

Hmm, yes, we should be communists. I'll be moving out of the country when I can anyway. lol

#17 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

People should be punished for misbehaviour, threads should not be locked down, it's ridiculous haw many times an interesting thread that I would like to contribute to gets locked because some silly buggers couldn't act thier age!!!

#18 Gnomishek

Gnomishek

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

No, it's not. As an old Russian saying goes - the truth is forged in the fires of dispute.

Edited by Gnomishek, 07 February 2013 - 03:53 AM.

Молоту войн и рокоту гроз вольные рати верны, где ветром могучим из братины звёзд рунные стяги пьяны.

#19 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

Perhaps this should be a distinction when locking threads where people seem to be disagreeing and spamming images.
Perhaps those spamming images to troll the opening poster should receive punishment for that, and the thread not locked for them not adding anything to the discussion.
After all, message boards are for discussion and debate, in the non-spam forums at least.

I think discussion will inevitably bring disagreement, but have people been offended by the two recent clashes of opinion is my question of moderation.
I don't think pre-emptive strikes are good, someone should be punished when their actions go too far.
They can't go too far if you stifle discussion, and the repeat offenders will become clear without any action being taken against them, turning them into a genital wart of the forum.

Spamming images is better than arguing.

No need to crack down too hard.

Signature_DK.png

#20 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Spamming images is better than arguing.

No need to crack down too hard.

How so?

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!