Photo

Let's Talk IPs!

1st Party New Character

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

Poll: IPs People Want (281 member(s) have cast votes)

If Nintendo were to roll out a totally new 1st or 2nd party IP, what kind of game would most interest you?

1. A Platformer (classic Mario style) (23 votes [8.19%])

Percentage of vote: 8.19%

2. An Adventure Game (like Zelda or Metroid) (105 votes [37.37%])

Percentage of vote: 37.37%

3. A Simulator/Shooter (like Starfox) (12 votes [4.27%])

Percentage of vote: 4.27%

4. A Strategy Game (like Pikmin) (8 votes [2.85%])

Percentage of vote: 2.85%

5. An RPG (like Golden Sun) (64 votes [22.78%])

Percentage of vote: 22.78%

6. An FPS/Shooter (like GoldenEye or, arguably, Metroid Prime) (39 votes [13.88%])

Percentage of vote: 13.88%

7. Other (like all the great genre defying games I don't have the presence of mind to mention) (30 votes [10.68%])

Percentage of vote: 10.68%

What kind of tone are you wanting from a new IP?

1. Super Casual/Party Game (Mii Games) (6 votes [2.14%])

Percentage of vote: 2.14%

2. Fun/Lighthearted (Mario Galaxy) (37 votes [13.17%])

Percentage of vote: 13.17%

3. Dramatic/Slightly Intense (Twilight Princess or Metroid Prime) (128 votes [45.55%])

Percentage of vote: 45.55%

4. Serious, Intense/Dark (Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem)) (53 votes [18.86%])

Percentage of vote: 18.86%

5. Dark/Scary, Intense and Violent (Resident Evil, Dead Space, Etc.) (34 votes [12.10%])

Percentage of vote: 12.10%

6. Other (hey, I don't want to put you in a box) (23 votes [8.19%])

Percentage of vote: 8.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 MagmaBeatles

MagmaBeatles

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Fandom:
    Shin Megami Tensei, Zelda and Metroid

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

I'm pretty sure XenoBlade is a Nintendo IP. I'm not sure about last Story but it might be too.

There's Disaster: Day of Crisis but that game needs to be rebooted to be worthwhile.

Then there's Pandora's Tower.

It would be nice if Nintendo bought a couple of small, talented devs or created one or two new ones.

Regardless of the "Nintendo rehashes old IPs all the time" argument you hear so often, they always make new IPS every generation. Even on their handhelds.

I don't think next gen will be any different. We just have to see what we get.

Pandora's Tower was developed by Ganbarion. Not Nintendo. Unless a game is developed by a group in Nintendo or one of their first-party developers (Monolith Soft, Retro, Brownie Brown, Intelligent Systems, Project Sora, ND Cube and Hal laboratory) then it can't be considered a Nintendo IP.

#22 ThisIsMyDisplayName

ThisIsMyDisplayName

Goomba

• Validating
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

I voted for something completely crazy, an intense platformer... yup.

Edited by Lolgamer, 16 June 2011 - 12:36 PM.

#23 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

A gritty RPG with mature characters could really give us something fresh and less predictable.

#24 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

A gritty RPG with mature characters could really give us something fresh and less predictable.

You know, I think you're really right about this. People tend to think of RPGs as either very cartoon-y (or at least very stylized), or as RPG-lite (like Mass Effect, which really doesn't deserve the word RPG appended to its action genre category, IMO). Even something like Monster Hunter is far more action game than RPG.

I would LOVE to see a gritty, brooding RPG with tons of atmosphere and deep character development. I think it could be awesome.

#25 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

Pandora's Tower was developed by Ganbarion. Not Nintendo. Unless a game is developed by a group in Nintendo or one of their first-party developers (Monolith Soft, Retro, Brownie Brown, Intelligent Systems, Project Sora, ND Cube and Hal laboratory) then it can't be considered a Nintendo IP.

That's not really true.

Metroid Other M for example wasn't developed inside Nintendo. That doesn't mean it's not a Nintendo IP.

Nintendo can co-develop/publish IPs with devs outside their company.
You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#26 MagmaBeatles

MagmaBeatles

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Fandom:
    Shin Megami Tensei, Zelda and Metroid

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

That's not really true.

Metroid Other M for example wasn't developed inside Nintendo. That doesn't mean it's not a Nintendo IP.

Nintendo can co-develop/publish IPs with devs outside their company.

Yes, but Metroid is Nintendo's franchise.

Publishing a game does not make it your IP.

#27 WeeYou

WeeYou

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:30 PM

You know, I think you're really right about this. People tend to think of RPGs as either very cartoon-y (or at least very stylized), or as RPG-lite (like Mass Effect, which really doesn't deserve the word RPG appended to its action genre category, IMO). Even something like Monster Hunter is far more action game than RPG.

I would LOVE to see a gritty, brooding RPG with tons of atmosphere and deep character development. I think it could be awesome.

Exactly. A whole new cast of characters that a mature audience can come to love. Mario speaking gibberish and prat falling doesn't appeal to the more mature audience out there.

#28 AidanSazer13

AidanSazer13

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

What does IP stand for?

#29 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

Yes, but Metroid is Nintendo's franchise.

Publishing a game does not make it your IP.

The point is an IP doesn't have to be developed by a first party studio for it to belong to you.
If you have the rights for the IP it is yours but you can still have other studios (2nd or 3rd party) develop the games for you.
You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#30 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

What does IP stand for?

Ah, my bad... forgive the "jargon". IP stands for Intellectual Property (the easiest way I know to talk about a game concept, idea, world or set of characters that a studio has developed. IP could refer to anything from the contents of a speech to the postings on a webpage to the ideas that go into a patent... but some IP is actually protected by law, even if not protected by copyright).

#31 KillerFreak

KillerFreak

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

Pikmin was a masterpiece

#32 Hardcore Brawler

Hardcore Brawler

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Punch Out!, Metroid, Zelda, more

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

maybe some third person shooter

like "Disaster" with more (and more) third person action .. but not an open world game

and some entirely new platformer games .. Wario Bros. ?

Man , I really want No More Heroes and MADWORLD and Conduit for Wiiu (no worry about NMH , but the other two?)

Posted Image

by Cerberuz

My Wii U games wishlist:
Disaster 2 - F-Zero U - Eternal Darkness 2 - Madworld 2 - Beyond Good and Evil 2 (Wii U version)

#33 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:58 AM

like "Disaster" with more (and more) third person action .. but not an open world game

MADWORLD and Conduit for Wiiu (no worry about NMH , but the other two?)

I'm right with you on the 3rd person action... and I don't think there's too much to worry about as far as the Conduit franchise goes. High Voltage has a great relationship with Nintendo, they like working with the company, and they're in the rare position of having a 3rd party exclusive franchise with a bit of a following on a Ninty system.

#34 Randomite

Randomite

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:59 AM

I haven't voted as I don't think any of the options fit what I'd want to be honest. Anyways what I'd really like to see is a proper Driving game for the Wii U, sure there is bound to be Need For Speed etc etc, but I find them to be more Arcade type racing in comparison to the likes of Gran Tourismo and Forza. I also have nothing against Mario Kart, but that is completely differant to what I would like to see.

#35 Jimmarn

Jimmarn

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

Super Mario 2

If they release a Super Mario 2 ( The new series announced on the 3DS ), I hope it's merging the 3d with World this time. And with the cape, all levels designed flyable, secret platforms with secret keys to those secret keyholes and areas. It would be amazing. Just think about it, the "hub" can be like a small world with "teleport pads" becoming available, castles to look for the princess in, different ones, when you've done one castle, a new mini area becomes available (hub).

Right now, I'd wish I was in the devteam for Super Mario :P I have so many ideas.

The first 4 levels before the castle, you don't get the feather, but yoshi, but after completing the first castle (of many) At the first level, there's a feather, and if you manage to keep it through the whole level, you also have the cape in the hub, and you can go back to the levels in the first area and get to secret places. Imagine having all levels designed for flying, the hub is like a miniature world with teleport pads for entering the levels. Different castles to open up new parts of the hub. Secret areas in many of the levels, some only possible to get to with the cape (Or blue yoshi), flying upwards to a secret platform with the secret key and keyhole.

Oh and bringing back the spinjump to the A button.
I really want that!

Randomite, you simply want a driving simulator :P

Edited by Jimmarn, 20 June 2011 - 03:26 AM.

Posted Image

#36 Randomite

Randomite

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:34 AM

Super Mario 2

If they release a Super Mario 2 ( The new series announced on the 3DS ), I hope it's merging the 3d with World this time. And with the cape, all levels designed flyable, secret platforms with secret keys to those secret keyholes and areas. It would be amazing. Just think about it, the "hub" can be like a small world with "teleport pads" becoming available, castles to look for the princess in, different ones, when you've done one castle, a new mini area becomes available (hub).

Right now, I'd wish I was in the devteam for Super Mario :P I have so many ideas.

The first 4 levels before the castle, you don't get the feather, but yoshi, but after completing the first castle (of many) At the first level, there's a feather, and if you manage to keep it through the whole level, you also have the cape in the hub, and you can go back to the levels in the first area and get to secret places. Imagine having all levels designed for flying, the hub is like a miniature world with teleport pads for entering the levels. Different castles to open up new parts of the hub. Secret areas in many of the levels, some only possible to get to with the cape (Or blue yoshi), flying upwards to a secret platform with the secret key and keyhole.

Oh and bringing back the spinjump to the A button.
I really want that!

Randomite, you simply want a driving simulator :P

Yes I do, it's kind of a niche market but driving simulators seem to be becomming more popular as the gaming industry progresses.

#37 Axis Magnus

Axis Magnus

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:28 AM

A Horror game would be nice, Miyamoto has often stated that he's fond of ghost stories. I'd also like to see a hack n' slash game similar to Devil May Cry/God or War/Bayonetta, Project H.A.M.M.E.R was supposed to be that and Pandora's Tower is kinda that but not really.

Other than that, A sandbox action game, I'm actually sick of seeing too many of those kind of games this gen but I'd like to see what Nintendo could do with a concept like that.

#38 DaPimpJ

DaPimpJ

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

I too would like to see a hack n slash or sandbox game from Nintendo

#39 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

I too would like to see a hack n slash or sandbox game from Nintendo

Yeah, this seems to be a big gap in Nintendo's franchise library... I'm not personally into the hack n slash genre, but I think it would be good for the system to have a solid entry or two for both genres. I LOVE sandbox games, and have also noticed a conspicuous lack of true open world games on the Wii. I think that big Nintendo fans would really eat up a good open world game.

#40 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

Yeah, this seems to be a big gap in Nintendo's franchise library... I'm not personally into the hack n slash genre, but I think it would be good for the system to have a solid entry or two for both genres. I LOVE sandbox games, and have also noticed a conspicuous lack of true open world games on the Wii. I think that big Nintendo fans would really eat up a good open world game.

Isn't that Pandora game hack N slash?
You know what guys?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1st Party New, Character

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!