Photo

Nintendo Left Behind in Innovation?

Wii U PS4 Omni Xbox 360 Xbox 70

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Next Gen (42 member(s) have cast votes)

PSO vs Wii U

1. PSO Wins (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

2. Wii U Wins (22 votes [52.38%])

Percentage of vote: 52.38%

3. I want both (15 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

4. I don't want either (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

720 vs Wii U

1. 720 Wins (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

2. Wii U Wins (27 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

3. I want both (9 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

4. I don't want either (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Sorry for the confusion. It means you want it.

Oh well dang I want em all... but sadly I will not have enough money :P

...until I win the lottery that is.. MWUHAHAHAHA

#22 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

What I want Nintendo to focus on is great games, descent 3rd party support and of course I would like some new nintendo IP's.

If you watched the video, you would have known part of this rumor is Nintendo's next E3 will have tons of 1st and 2nd party games, introducing two new IP's, and of course funding and co developing third party games.

As to whether you think Wii U is innovative, I am not going to argue with. It's silly you don't think the Wii U innovative, when clearly it had innovated in at least three main ways. If you can't figure it out then I suggest doing research on the Wii U.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#23 backudog

backudog

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • NNID:backudog

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

I will definately be getting a 720 when its released no matter what as i've owned an xbox and a 360, and pretty much all the games i've liked the look of this generation have been on the 360 so i'll stick with them next gen too (well, them and nintendo).
I hear voices in my head all the time, telling me what to do. But I just ignore them and carry on killing.

#24 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

ha ha, the rumours now say the 720's going to be a holo deck?

This is either going to be hilarious, or im going to have a holo deck.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#25 Kermit

Kermit

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

ha ha, the rumours now say the 720's going to be a holo deck?

This is either going to be hilarious, or im going to have a holo deck.

Haha! A holo deck would be awesome.

I look forward to seeing what Sony and Microsoft come up with but I doubt I'll buy and Playstation again. As for the 3D, I love the 3DS, but I rarely bother with the 3D setting, and I don't think I'll be interested in wearing a headset. The Kinect motion controls don't interest me either. IF the rumours are true...

Wii U - WaxiesDargle / 3DS - 4897-5995-1582

Posted Image

#26 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

All of the next gen rumors actually sound cool to me. I will wait to get to excited until we get closet to E3 2013 and hear some facts. Either way...gaming is going to get interesting......Sword Art Online anyone?
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#27 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

If you watched the video, you would have known part of this rumor is Nintendo's next E3 will have tons of 1st and 2nd party games, introducing two new IP's, and of course funding and co developing third party games.

As to whether you think Wii U is innovative, I am not going to argue with. It's silly you don't think the Wii U innovative, when clearly it had innovated in at least three main ways. If you can't figure it out then I suggest doing research on the Wii U.

I have the wiiU, it doesn't do anything that other devices have not already done. So instead of simply stating it is, tell me what is so innovative about it.

Ad for the rumors, well.... they are rumors and until they are confirmed should be taken with a grain of salt.

And I own a powerful computer. We can talk this subject through pm if you want, and I'll tell you what I think of the computer and how it relates to this. But PCs seems to be getting offtopic for this thread, so I think I'll stop the discussion here.

B)

My point may have been clumsy, my point was trying to emphasize that hardware isn't everything, it's the games that are important. :)

Edited by PedanticGamer, 10 December 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#28 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

I have the wiiU, it doesn't do anything that other devices have not already done. So instead of simply stating it is, tell me what is so innovative about it.

Ad for the rumors, well.... they are rumors and until they are confirmed should be taken with a grain of salt.

This thread isn't about the innovation of the Wii U, it's about the other two and whether they are more innovative or not.

But since it's loosely based on the Wii U (since we are comparing) I will tell you three things where Nintendo innovated.

The GamePad: You may not want to accept it as innovation, but it is. Sure, they didn't invent the touch screen. They weren't the first company to use two or more screens. People do that all the time.

They were the first to come up with new ways to play. Instead of having split screen, two players can now have one console and be able to play each other without seeing what the other is doing. You can now have asymetical gameplay.

And yes, the PS3/Vita connection. First off, very few games use this, and two it was announced after Nintendo demoed thr Wii U. And that has been done with GBA/GCN. However, before and with thr Sony example, it is not a built in feature and is not done with the consoles power, so the technology is different to.

Miiverse: I don't havr XBL, so correct.me if I sm wrong, but the other services don't have that type of system, right? Sure, XBL is better and has other social features, but not something specific to helping when you are stuck on a game. Also, the Mii's around games you don't have an seeing what peoplr like. That is a cool, and unique feature - innovative.

Third, Nintendo TVii. I know i can't get my DVR on Xbox. But eith TVii you can. That is a cool, new thing for consoles.

And let me also say, i agree the Wii U has brought, and in some cases improved on, previous innovations under one roof. But that doesn't mean Nintendo hasn't brought new ways to play and innovated in both hardware and software.

#29 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Wouldn't that be a fresh change of Pace if Nintendo actually the one behind in Innovation.

#30 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

That is my guess too.

And i think the 720 will be Microsoft's PS3 moment. They will use the Xbox branding to sell Windows 8 and beyound, just like Sony did with Blu-Ray/PS3 and end up being last in the next gen race.

I predicted this for the forums, since it's Sony biased. But in actual sales, I think the Xbox would win; it is more likely to be very popular and more innovative than the PSO.

#31 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

This thread isn't about the innovation of the Wii U, it's about the other two and whether they are more innovative or not.

If your discussing whether they have been left behind in innovation you have to compare there innovation with there competitors, so it is about there innovation.

But since it's loosely based on the Wii U (since we are comparing) I will tell you three things where Nintendo innovated.

The GamePad: You may not want to accept it as innovation, but it is. Sure, they didn't invent the touch screen. They weren't the first company to use two or more screens. People do that all the time.

They were the first to come up with new ways to play. Instead of having split screen, two players can now have one console and be able to play each other without seeing what the other is doing. You can now have asymetical gameplay.

That is not what I would call asymetrical gameplay as you are playing the same game, and are more importantly are doing the same thing (outside of mario bros wiiU). It is a cool feature and it could be argued that it allows for different gameplay for two different people, but games have already done that. Also as for people having there own separate screen, Sony has already done that as well with the ps3 (not talking about using the vita here btw) ergo not innovative.

And yes, the PS3/Vita connection. First off, very few games use this, and two it was announced after Nintendo demoed thr Wii U. And that has been done with GBA/GCN. However, before and with thr Sony example, it is not a built in feature and is not done with the consoles power, so the technology is different to.

Sony had it out first ergo they get the credit (likewise Sony doesn't get the credit for Nintnedos wiimote despite having patents for such motion controls before nintendo). It doesn't matter how limited it is, it has been done before and thus not innovative. It is still a good feature (I say good not great as it adds notable input lag which takes away from it somewhat).

Miiverse: I don't havr XBL, so correct.me if I sm wrong, but the other services don't have that type of system, right? Sure, XBL is better and has other social features, but not something specific to helping when you are stuck on a game. Also, the Mii's around games you don't have an seeing what peoplr like. That is a cool, and unique feature - innovative.

What is essentially a link to a forum I don't consider that to be innovative, new but not innovative.

Third, Nintendo TVii. I know i can't get my DVR on Xbox. But eith TVii you can. That is a cool, new thing for consoles.

You may be correct about this, I have no interest in such features so can't comment.

And let me also say, i agree the Wii U has brought, and in some cases improved on, previous innovations under one roof. But that doesn't mean Nintendo hasn't brought new ways to play and innovated in both hardware and software.

True, but that doesn't also mean that it has.

Wouldn't that be a fresh change of Pace if Nintendo actually the one behind in Innovation.

Nope, that would be more or less the norm outside of the wiimote.

Answers in bold.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 10 December 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#32 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Everytime someone mentions the 720 and PSO I puke a bit in my mouth.

#33 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

Everytime someone mentions the 720 and PSO I puke a bit in my mouth.

Cool story bro. Not sure why you would go into threads that discuss them then (I don't enjoy puking in my mouth though, maybe you do).

#34 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Answers in bold.

Well, we can agree to disagree.

#35 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Answers in bold.

Dude you are borderline trolling. And for the record, Nintendo is following the same pattern they have always followed: something innovative (NES, gamepad) (N64, Analog stick, rumble pack?) (Wii, motion controls) then perfect it with something powerful (SNES, Gamecube, WiiU(?)). Though it is more obvious recently I will admit, when you look at this general trend, were you really expecting something as innovative and fresh as the Wii? As far as the power of the U is concerned, Nintendo has taken a calculated risk there I will admit, so let's just wait until this system is a couple years out of the gate, has some good games built from the ground up for it, and we realize that you are simply being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn.

btw. After looking over some of you posts on this thread, you are officially trolling.

#36 Gnomishek

Gnomishek

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Couldn't watch it for more than a minute. Can't stand such idiots.

Молоту войн и рокоту гроз вольные рати верны, где ветром могучим из братины звёзд рунные стяги пьяны.

#37 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Dude you are borderline trolling. And for the record, Nintendo is following the same pattern they have always followed: something innovative (NES, gamepad) (N64, Analog stick, rumble pack?) (Wii, motion controls) then perfect it with something powerful (SNES, Gamecube, WiiU(?)). Though it is more obvious recently I will admit, when you look at this general trend, were you really expecting something as innovative and fresh as the Wii? As far as the power of the U is concerned, Nintendo has taken a calculated risk there I will admit, so let's just wait until this system is a couple years out of the gate, has some good games built from the ground up for it, and we realize that you are simply being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn.

btw. After looking over some of you posts on this thread, you are officially trolling.

So because you don't agree with me I am trolling. I have provided reasons for what I have said. No one has yet been able to retort what I have said. Falling back on 'you're trolling' shows a huge weakness in your point of view. My expectations aren't relevant to whether something is innovative, nor did I ever mention if I expected the wiiU to be more or less in any way then it is. I simply provided reasons for why I fell it is not innovative, and once again, with the possible excpetion of tvii have been unable to rebut my points.

Nintendo has done a very good job at reiteration, but they have not been innovative with the wiiU. They have however expanded on what others have already done and often done it better.

Well, we can agree to disagree.

Okay then. If you or someone could post about the TVii stuff that would be nice as I don't have any knowledge in that area (and i'm sure many others don't as well). :)

Edited by PedanticGamer, 10 December 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#38 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Okay then. If you or someone could post about the TVii stuff that would be nice as I don't have any knowledge in that area (and i'm sure many others don't as well). :)

We don't know much. What we do know is that the Wii U somehow connects to just about an US Cable Provider's DVR (and TIVO) to get just DVR content. I think it also connects with other video services. Think Google TV, but on a video game console. Specifically, on a Nintendo one. Called Wii U.

We'll see how well it works when they release it. I am interested in it because I can't have a TV in my bedroom (or, a cable outlet) and I have a TV with a Wii U. One of the main reasons I have Netflix is for TV on my spare TV lol. So this was a HUGE feature that I love, and I consider it innovating in THIS market, because the others currently don't have this and aren't rumored to be (I wouldn't put it past Microsoft though).

#39 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

I have a Wii U, so I do not want another. ;)
720, I personally will likely skip, unless they can give me a couple of great games I am interested in. That being not "Halo 5/6" or some cash cow I am not really interested in. I for one stopped playing my 360 when they stopped putting out new J/KRPG games as I really did not play it online to much. Got tired of the stupid paying for online crap when I can play for free on other consoles or my PC (GFW-L horrid titles included).
PSO (Why does this have to be PSO? Makes me think Phantasy Star Online when I see it) I will likely get as Sony tends to have a good backing in RPG developers, with all the NIS, Atlus, Level 5, et cetera just putting out games for the PS3.

Couldn't watch it for more than a minute. Can't stand such idiots.

Shokio not of your liking? Not a fan either. XD
Not sure what people see in that guy. His brother is a little better like maybe ten percent of the time. The other ninety he is just insulting children or others over the internet. (I will admit that some of the people he insults though are pretty dumb to me as well). Then he gets popular to advertise his brother and vise versa to make people idolize these two. (Shrugs)

What is so great about getting a connection to a DVR? You can play the game on your gamepad (if the game does the gamepad output) and use the television for the DVR, and TViii is going to lock you into the consoles application. Why even turn your console on to use your DVR? That makes no sense to me, I mean sure you can see advertisements for this or that and get information via future programming, but my bloody cellphone can even do that. It does not even have to be in a short range of my consoles, all I need is a connection to the internet, an application, and be linked to the said DVR to see and control the guide. Not to mention my cellphone can already control my Sony television with a Sony app via the Android store with all my regular controllers buttons. (Way better than the basic Wii U controller).

I am not trying to rag on anything, I just don't see the overall point to boot up a console to control a DVR. When you have a universal remote that can do it better and faster.

We'll see how well it works when they release it. I am interested in it because I can't have a TV in my bedroom (or, a cable outlet) and I have a TV with a Wii U. One of the main reasons I have Netflix is for TV on my spare TV lol. So this was a HUGE feature that I love, and I consider it innovating in THIS market, because the others currently don't have this and aren't rumored to be (I wouldn't put it past Microsoft though).

The only way I see you possibly accessing it the way you plan is if the receiver for your cable company outputs in an RVU (or what ever that wireless method is called again) and the Wii U acts as a television to accept that. Which I highly doubt Nintendo will be having in the Wii U. Being as most receivers do not feature this and the ones that don't have to usually have a second or third receiver to act as an access point to the main home system for recordings. Not to mention the limits of how many things can be active on the device at once. Being as a live stream can act as a recording slot and you get like four or five standard recording slots.

Edited by UnholyVision, 10 December 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#40 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

We don't know much. What we do know is that the Wii U somehow connects to just about an US Cable Provider's DVR (and TIVO) to get just DVR content. I think it also connects with other video services. Think Google TV, but on a video game console. Specifically, on a Nintendo one. Called Wii U.

That does sound fairly awesome (though I don't watch any tv and now little about the channels etc) and if it works anywhere near as well as it sounds it is quite an innovation for a video game console. I do wonder how it will work in Australia though.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 10 December 2012 - 11:54 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii U, PS4, Omni, Xbox 360, Xbox 70

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!