wombateer

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • NNID:wombateer
  • Fandom:
    Splinter Cell.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

I genuinely tried the demo yesterday evening and... it's not my cup of tea. There is a lot on the screen going on at once and I get myself lost in that. Also, there might be videos tutorial and stuff but I feel that the game should make an interactive training session, especially in the drawing segment of the game with "punching bag enmmies" (ennemies that doesn't budge or if they do, they don't attack) and then gradually introduce action. What I played is a game that drops you directly into action with very little to help you out: Use "something" (/reference) to attack! Then, the action grows more intense and then it says "you can draw figures!" when you are already overloaded with checking the gamepad and then the mainscreen trying to figure out what to do. Argh. Again, I like action games but not this kind and that's probably what make me suck very hard.

The graphics however are pretty darn good. The greatest surprise I had was: Japanese audio with English subs! Wiis dubs, all hail original audio and language! (says somebody that loves anime and used to watch them a lot)

On that, take my opinion with a grain of salt because I'm not in this kind of game. Maybe Pikmin may be more suited for me than W101.

I said this. (http://thewiiu.com/t...e-2#entry238061

It's not my cup of tea either. But I'm sure many do find it appealing, and although an appealing game to many. I don't think this game is a reason to own a Wii U, but it gives it that bit more credibility. 

#62 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

So, the key word here (and the rest of the internet it seems) is calling anything "overrated" when you dont like it? (be it games, movies, books, etc. ANYTHING can be called overrated and constroversy will show up. Its a never ending cycle)

Kamiya and Platinum Games, besides being relatively young in the industry, really know what they do (look at their curriculum), and they arent conventional at all. This game is pretty ambicious (damn, they even game Kamiya his own Nintendo Direct, which never happened ever!), and for action game fans, its full of fun! Maybe if you dont like/suck at- action games, its obviously not for you. And thats acceptable: i dont like FPS's, i suck at them, that's why i avoid them.

But the whole "meh i couldnt find the tutorial, i died in the first mission, too much on the screen: therefore its overrated" really makes no sense, its pointless and laughable at best.

Also, calling something overrated is passing your opinions as facts, and no one will take that.

I think I can call games overrated when people call them the reason to own a console.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#63 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

There's going to be a thread like this every time a Wii U exclusive is released.

#64 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

The controls are pretty awful.

Can I play this with a pro controller? The line drawing stuff is pretty unresponsive.  I also didn't like the camera angle.  You guys really need to stop hyping up every game like its the second-coming of Jesus Christ. I'll probably rent it and that's it. 

Edited by Y2Kev, 11 August 2013 - 08:25 AM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#65 wombateer

wombateer

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • NNID:wombateer
  • Fandom:
    Splinter Cell.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

There's going to be a thread like this every time a Wii U exclusive is released.

More than likely. :)

#66 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

Can I play this with a pro controller? The line drawing stuff is pretty unresponsive.  I also didn't like the camera angle.  You guys really need to stop hyping up every game like its the second-coming of Jesus Christ. I'll probably rent it and that's it.

Yes, you can use pretty much any controller. Change the camera with l and r.

Gamepad style stuff is handled via picture in picture'.

The line drawing is incredibly responsive, you just arent any good at it. You can right stick it okami style, which is what i do because i dont like taking a hand off the controls to draw.

YOU people need to stop claiming everything you dont understand/ suck at/ isnt immediately digested because its not the same exact thing as every other game you already know how to play is over rated garbage without having any clue whatsoever what you are doing.

Any game can be as fun as a stick in the mud if you play it like... A stick in the mud.

Its always the same damn people with the same silly pony complaints with EVERY SINGLE GAME that actually requires skill.

Even when its not the same, on different system forums, it might as well be the same. Their comments are all interchangable.

The same damn type of complaints were leveraged agwinst viewtiful joe, okami, monster hunter, dark souls, bayonetta. Doesnt matter the system, there will ALWAYS be people who think they are amazing at videogames because of how easy the average game has become. And HATES when reality slaps them in the face with a game that actually requires skill, and they find out they suck.
  • BnB likes this

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#67 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

The line drawing is incredibly responsive, you just arent any good at it. You can right stick it okami style, which is what i do because i dont like taking a hand off the controls to draw.

YOU people need to stop claiming everything you dont understand/ suck at/ isnt immediately digested because its not the same exact thing as every other game you already know how to play is over rated garbage without having any clue whatsoever what you are doing.

Any game can be as fun as a stick in the mud if you play it like... A stick in the mud.

Maybe its because I was using my finger, maybe its because I've dropped my gamepad like 545456 times, or maybe its just my perspective. I  had better luck using the analog stick perfectly every time, but I had to draw a straight line more than once when I had no problem doing this in other similar games where you had to draw lines. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#68 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Yeah I know, I haven't liked this game from the start and I still don't. The controls are bad, but the worst part are the kids. I want to slap all those Wonderful kids in the face. 

#69 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Maybe I'll have better luck playing with a Pro Controller. 

#70 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Yeah I know, I haven't liked this game from the start and I still don't. The controls are bad, but the worst part are the kids. I want to slap all those Wonderful kids in the face. 

The controls really aren't bad though. Using the stick I can pull off every shape pretty much first time everytime.

Also that's just mean  :(

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#71 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

The controls really aren't bad though. Using the stick I can pull off every shape pretty much first time everytime.

Also that's just mean  :(

I know, but the characters faces just irk me for some reason.  

#72 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

Maybe its because I was using my finger, maybe its because I've dropped my gamepad like 545456 times, or maybe its just my perspective. I  had better luck using the analog stick perfectly every time, but I had to draw a straight line more than once when I had no problem doing this in other similar games where you had to draw lines.

Sounds like you are trying to rush, or feel pressured, and are screwing it up. Theres really no need to rush, the game goes into super slow mode when in story mode and drawing. The games REEEEAAALLLLY not as fast paced or frantic as first impressions make it out to be. The large majority of my mistakes ive made have been reacting too soon. Its about the same tempo as viewtiful joe or okami combat.

This is simply put NOT a game you can understand by playing through a demo once, even IF you are a veteran of all the clover/platinum games it comes from.

The fact people think they understand everything about these games after sucking at them and button mashing for five minutes getting c and d rankings
(Gold is a C rank) and passing judgement off on them as if they have mastered all there is to be offered, is infuriating.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#73 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

Sounds like you are trying to rush, or feel pressured, and are screwing it up. Theres really no need to rush, the game goes into super slow mode when in story mode and drawing. The games REEEEAAALLLLY not as fast paced or frantic as first impressions make it out to be. The large majority of my mistakes ive made have been reacting too soon. Its about the same tempo as viewtiful joe or okami combat.

This is simply put NOT a game you can understand by playing through a demo once, even IF you are a veteran of all the clover/platinum games it comes from.

The fact people think they understand everything about these games after sucking at them and button mashing for five minutes getting c and d rankings
(Gold is a C rank) and passing judgement off on them as if they have mastered all there is to be offered, is infuriating.

Now you're jumping to assumptions. I wasn't button mashing nor was I rushing. I played the demo six times, I just don't like the controls. It's a matter of opinion. You like the game, it's entirely up to you, but since I don't like the controls I'm automatically trying to rush through this is? I'm a huge Kamiya fan, but this really isn't my cup of tea. I try it, but I'm not definitely buying it.

#74 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

I think NSMBU, ZombiU, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3, New Super Luigi U... are reasons to own a Wii U. However, perhaps, on that level that they "only" become really interesting while already having the console - and not titles that makes you MUST HAVE THAT CONSOLE. I think titles such as X, Mario Kart 8, SM3DWorld and the next (not the HD-remaster) The Legend of Zelda will sell consoles to a segment of gamers that after that will get their eyes on these smaller titles - including The Wonderful 101.

erm so, every WiiU game is a reason to own a WiiU  :laugh:

#75 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

I have no idea how you guys are having trouble with the drawing on the tablet, It works perfectly fine for me.This reminds me of the whole skyward sword motion control fiasco. Also I was on the fence about this game and wasn't really planning on getting it. After playing the demo it changed my mind, its fun and intuitive and a day one buy for me. Maybe you guys should try cleaning your touch screen. :P 

#76 JoonKimDMD

JoonKimDMD

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

How does using pro controller change anything?

BTW, i think this is going to be the best wii U game especially because there is no good game for wii U yet.

#77 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Now you're jumping to assumptions. I wasn't button mashing nor was I rushing. I played the demo six times, I just don't like the controls. It's a matter of opinion. You like the game, it's entirely up to you, but since I don't like the controls I'm automatically trying to rush through this is? I'm a huge Kamiya fan, but this really isn't my cup of tea. I try it, but I'm not definitely buying it.

Dont need to jump to conclusions. You can SAY you are a huge kamiya fan, but that doesnt hold much weight since this LITERALLY controls like any one of his other games. What kamiyah games have you played? The concepts are exactly the same as viewtiful joe, okami, devil may cry, bayonetta, metal gear rising or any other kamiya game. Once you see that, everything clicks.

I dont CARE if you dont like the game. I DONT CARE if its just not your cup of tea. Thats fine, PLENTY of people have said that, and bothered nobody. But,.... THATS NOT WHAT YOU SAID IN YOUR POST.

YOU said, because you cant figure out how to play, that the controls are bad, and anyone who DID understand or figure out how to play were just full of crap and overhyping a mediocre game.

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE. But there are a very, VERY consistant handful of users here who wont seperate the difference between a game they are bad at/dont like (usually because they are bad at it) and a game that is actually bad.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#78 JoonKimDMD

JoonKimDMD

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

The wonderful 101 got potential to be the first amazing title for wii U.

Edited by 3Dude, 11 August 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#79 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Dont need to jump to conclusions. You can SAY you are a huge kamiya fan, but that doesnt hold much weight since this LITERALLY controls like any one of his other games. What kamiyah games have you played? The concepts are exactly the same as viewtiful joe, okami, devil may cry, bayonetta, metal gear rising or any other kamiya game. Once you see that, everything clicks.

I dont CARE if you dont like the game. I DONT CARE if its just not your cup of tea. Thats fine, PLENTY of people have said that, and bothered nobody. But,.... THATS NOT WHAT YOU SAID IN YOUR POST.

YOU said, because you cant figure out how to play, that the controls are bad, and anyone who DID understand or figure out how to play were just full of crap and overhyping a mediocre game.

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE. But there are a very, VERY consistant handful of users here who wont seperate the difference between a game they are bad at/dont like (usually because they are bad at it) and a game that is actually bad.

Should I be more specific? Should I posts pictures for you to understand me better? I never, ever said in any of my posts that I had trouble figuring out the controls. I said in my original post:

"The controls are pretty awful.' "  The line drawing stuff is pretty unresponsive" Thinking the controls are pretty mediocre is completely different from not knowing how to  play the game. You need to chill out, you're hulking SMASHING your keyboard and trying to breakdown anyone's posts that don't like this game. It's a opinion. Nobody will ever share the same one. Just because you found the controls to be well for you doesn't mean that others won't. There's plenty of people that think the controls are complete trash. Does that mean they couldn't figure how the game plays?

You need to relax, take a chill pill, and stop getting upset over a forum. I think the concept of the game itself is good and original, but the lackluster control hurt it. 

Edited by Y2Kev, 11 August 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#80 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

The stick drawing is completly responsive and easy :) you guys suck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!