#1 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I believe that the Wii U should have some kind of 3DS player software.

I know it sounds stupid, but is it? You should not forget about the Super GameBoy, which let you play GameBoy games on your SNES. There was also the GameBoy Player, which allowed you to play GameBoy Advance games on your Gamecube. Wouldn't it be great if the Wii U could play 3DS games?

Let's think about patterns.The Super GameBoy was released for the SNES. Nintendo's next console was the Nintendo 64, which had no such hardware. After that came the Gamecube, which hosted the aforementioned GameBoy Player. The Wii could not play handheld games. Keeping up with this pattern, the Wii U should logically be able to play games from its corresponding handheld, the 3DS.

Not only that, but this is totally possible. All of the required hardware exists within the Wii U: a touch screen and dual screens, as well as a 3D TV if the consumer owns one (you don't need to play in 3D). I imagine that, rather than playing 3DS games directly, the Wii U will be able to pick up some kind of wireless signal through which your 3DS will send information to the console. Plus, 3DS games don't look that bad with a blown up screen. Check out the 3DS XL for proof. You might also be able to search up some YouTube videos.

All in all, I think that this would be a fantastic capability for the Wii U to have. What are your thoughts about such a development?
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#2 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

I think I should drive a Lambo, but I don't see it happening.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#3 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

I would love to see a 3(DS) player. It would have to upscale the games into HD for them to not look like utter crap and there would be dead space on the gamepad if they want to keep the aspect ratio of the touch screen correct, but it would be amazing if they did.

Edited by TheUltimateWaddleDee, 14 November 2012 - 07:13 PM.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#4 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

A DS player only make more sense.

#5 Press

Press

Thwomp

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Smash, FF, KH, Sonic

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Emblem is right, although I still find it a bit early since people even still buy DSes. To allow the Wii U to play DS and 3DS games would make the handhelds obsolete for those who only have a Wii U. Ninty would lose more money than gain. Trust me, it would have kept me from buying a 3DS but it would hurt Nintendo.

#6 Hari

Hari

Cheep-Cheep

• Banned
  • 116 posts
  • Fandom:
    you

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

No, 3DS sales will die if they do this

#7 Wolfy

Wolfy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Fandom:
    snep baks n sweg

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

No, we aren't in the 90's anymore. Although I would absolutely LOVE the DS on the Wii U, I loved the DS library, it was the first handheld that wasn't just a pokemon machine to me.

#8 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Oh My God, I thought of Pokemon Black 2 on the Wii U and peed a little :wacko:

#9 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

Press basically points out what I was going to say. It would defeat the purpose of getting the 3DS.

Posted Image

#10 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:36 AM

Emblem is right, although I still find it a bit early since people even still buy DSes. To allow the Wii U to play DS and 3DS games would make the handhelds obsolete for those who only have a Wii U. Ninty would lose more money than gain. Trust me, it would have kept me from buying a 3DS but it would hurt Nintendo.

Well, the gameboy advance was doing really well, but we still got the gameboy player

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue

#11 Press

Press

Thwomp

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

Well, the gameboy advance was doing really well, but we still got the gameboy player

What time period are you referring to?

#12 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

What time period are you referring to?

the GameCube era

KtOSpy7.jpg

#13 Press

Press

Thwomp

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

That's....kinda dated. Especially since Nintendo is thinking of GC games on Virtual Console.

#14 Eggplante!

Eggplante!

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

It might sound like it would replace someone getting a 3DS, but think about most of the market for a 3DS Player attachment for Wii U: hardcore gamers. Not hardcore in the sense that they're only playing shooters or 300-hour RPGs, but hardcore in the sense that they're gamers, and proud of it. People who buy an attachment to play 3DS games likely already have a stack of 3DS games next to their 3DS.

Of course, don't forget that this peripheral, if it ever comes out, would likely not be out for at least a year and a half, by which point the 3DS will have been out for more than 3 years. Someone who hasn't bought a 3DS at that point certainly isn't going to buy one now, but if they buy a 3DS Player for Wii U, Nintendo might actually have found an additional market!

Eggplante!com
video games, music, movies, concerts, photography
…and more!

#15 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

It would be streaming the game from the 3DS, so you'd still need a 3DS to play them.
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#16 Spleenzorio

Spleenzorio

Thwomp

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Someone who hasn't bought a 3DS at that point certainly isn't going to buy one now

Why not? Why does Microsoft keep putting out new 360s? Cuz people still buy them. I was at Walmart lookin at the Wii U games and a lady was planning on buying a Wii for her nephew. Just because it's old doesn't mean nobody will buy it, as long as its on the shelf people will buy it. They might just be waiting until it reaches their price range.
Posted Image

Nintendo ID: Spleenzorio

#17 Eggplante!

Eggplante!

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

It would be streaming the game from the 3DS, so you'd still need a 3DS to play them.

No, the idea would be that the 3DS Player would be an attachment for the Wii U that you would insert your 3DS game card into, just like the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player peripherals for SNES and GameCube, respectively. No streaming required.

Why not? Why does Microsoft keep putting out new 360s? Cuz people still buy them. I was at Walmart lookin at the Wii U games and a lady was planning on buying a Wii for her nephew. Just because it's old doesn't mean nobody will buy it, as long as its on the shelf people will buy it. They might just be waiting until it reaches their price range.

You're right, some people will still buy a 3DS, but most of the market will be gone. Unless of course there is a price drop, which isn't out of the question. A $129 3DS is a very enticing proposition.

I actually wrote about all of this in an article almost a year ago, where I theorized that perhaps the door in the Wii U would have a 3DS slot built-in. Take a look:

http://www.eggplante.com/2012/02/06/wii-u-3ds/

Eggplante!com
…and more!

#18 Manny T. Starr

Manny T. Starr

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, LoZ, Pokemon

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo would lose quite a lot of money if they were to do this. But! If they were to make it so that the 3DS would be a requirement to play the games on the Wii U (such as syncing the 3DS to your Wii U), then maybe... just maybe.

#19 Eggplante!

Eggplante!

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

There's also the possibility that any games you buy on eShop become cross-compatible with the Wii U, just like Sony and their Vita Cross-Play, Cross-Buy functionality.

Eggplante!com
…and more!

#20 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Id say yes and no.
The upscale of the game would be the death of it.
Sounds cool but i believe most people would just just buy an extra large.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3DS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!