Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Source: Polygon

Disney Infinity, due out this summer, will combine the best of Pixar and Disney worlds in a sandbox video game empowered by plastic toys, Disney Interactive co-president John Pleasants announced during a Hollywood press conference today.

The game, set for a June release, will integrate collectible physical toys into a sandbox game that can include the best of Disney and Pixar titles. Infinity will launch first on consoles, and will gradually become available on mobile and online devices throughout the rest of 2013. While no exact date was announced, a countdown on the game'sofficial website ends on June 1.

Disney Infinity's characters can "exist and interact in one game across" the PC, PlayStation 3, Wii, Wii U and Xbox 360 as well as tablets and mobile phones. The game will also support two player co-op play in "structured adventures" and up to four players in "Toy Box" mode.

The Disney Infinity plaftorm will include an initial line of 40 collectible interactive pieces that will allow players to expand and customize their play experiences as well as 17 character figures that can be used to bring new characters into the Toy Box mode of the game. Both items and characters will use an Infinity base to add experiences and worlds to the game. Disney Infinity Power Discs, 20 of which will be available at launch, can also be placed on the base to power up characters with unique powers, customizations and gadgets.

The Disney Infinity starter pack will sell for $74.99, with play sets selling for $34.99, figure three packs selling for $29.99, figures for $12.99 and power disc packs selling for $4.99.

At the reveal event, John Pleasants announced the game, calling Disney Infinity a "magical gaming experience."

"We are here to announce Disney Infinity," Pleasants said, calling it a "new interactive gaming platform" that brings together the best of Disney's IP "past, present and future."

"Disney Infinity is not a single game," he explained, calling it a platform that will grow over time. The franchise is set to come to console, mobile and online platforms. Key to the experience are action figures that unlock the worlds ofDisney Infinity called play sets, each with its own storyline. Those characters can play together, in existing games creating by Disney, or in worlds that players create on their own, worlds dubbed "the Toy Box."

Disney Infinity will launch in June with three play sets based on The Incredibles, Monsters University and Pirates of the Caribbean.

"Who would win a race between Lightning McQueen or Dash?" Pleasants asked the crowd to explain the scope of Disney Inifnity. "Who would win a sword fight between Jack Sparrow and Phineas Flynn? This is the promise and magic of Disney Infinity. It's up to you to unlock the heart and soul of Disney Infinity."

Principle creative advisor of Disney Imagineering John Lasseter took the stage explained that Toy Story 3 video game developer Avalanche Software's free form approach to gameplay was the inspiration behind Disney Infinity.

Lasseter said the toys and characters have been reimagined with a stylized approach that brings a cohesive aesthetic to the varied characters, boasting that even if you're not into video games, the toys are cool enough to stand on their own. Beyond the toys, Lasseter said he's more excited about Disney Infinity players getting access to the game's creative toolbox, to see what players create in-game beyond what Disney Interactive and Avalanche Software have envisioned for the game.

"This is one of the most creative things in the interactive world that I've ever seen," Lasseter said. "I'm really excited."

John Blackburn from Avalanche Software took the stage after Lasseter, explaining the path to Disney Infinity. Originally, the team was working on a video game sequel to Toy Story 3 focused more on Buzz Lightyear. That game later grew in scope when John Pleasants joined the group, which saw Avalanche "blowing out" the design of their pitch.

Blackburn then rolled a concept video showing Jack Sparrow, Sully, Mike and Mr. Incredible interacting, merging their three worlds — and others, including A Nightmare Before Christmas and Toy Story — to create a massive, colorful playground.

Blackburn then detailed how Disney Infinity's combination of action figures and software will work. Similar to Activision's Skylanders, players will place each action figure on a sensor to import a character and their respective Play Sets into the world. Those Play Sets, based on Disney properties, will stay true to their respective worlds.

"You will never see Mr. Incredible go into Pirates or vice versa," Blackburn explained.

Those restrictions won't hold for Toy Box mode, where players are free to mash-up the worlds and characters of various Disney and Pixar properties.

Players will be able to unlock toys and gadgets in Infinity's Play Sets, which they can then import into Toy Box mode, letting players mix and match vehicles and accessories across properties. All of Disney Infinity's modes features a multiplayer component, Blackburn said. He later showed building and gameplay featuring a Play Set based onMonsters University, including the building of the monster's "frat row" and racing through a ramp-filled quad on mounts and bicycles. Blackburn also stressed that the Monsters University play set is about fun and customization, less so on combat.

Gameplay of The Pirates of the Caribbean Play Set was more combat-heavy, featuring sword fights and ship-to-ship sea battles aboard customizable ships.

Blackburn then dove into Toy Box mode, showing Mr. Incredible performing stunts on a race track, then Jack Sparrow, Jack Skellington and Wreck-It Ralph racing in Disney Princess-inspired chariots. He then showed Jack Sparrow crafting a new world with a magic wand, using building blocks to create levels with pieces from Wreck-It Ralph's Sugar Rush and the world of Tron. Zooming out, we saw a custom-built world shaped like a guitar floating in a blue sky box, a unique playground designed from the ground up.

In addition to world building, Disney Infinity will have a simple logic editor built around pressure plates that help define custom game rules. Blackburn then showed how Power Discs interact with the game's Toy Box mode, showing characters from Dumbo and vehicles from Cinderella dropping into the world's of Monsters University and Pirates. That Toy Box mode will offer drop-in, drop-out cooperative play, letting users share their custom worlds with others online.

Lasseter, Blackburn and Pleasants called Disney Infinity a collaboration that touches the entire Disney Interactive organization.

Edited by Cerberuz, 15 January 2013 - 12:24 PM.

LordPickleton.png

#2 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

GOTY 2013!

Sorry, Farming Simulator 2013.

The concept is kinda like Garry's mod that it's not a standalone

Edited by Ness, 15 January 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#3 Mushlikeahusky

Mushlikeahusky

Thwomp

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Fandom:
    Banjo Kazooie

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Im excited for this but I stil want that Toy Story game :(
Posted Image

#4 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Pictures of Naval combat and Editor

Posted Image

Posted Image

LordPickleton.png

#5 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

The game is also coming to the 3DS according to Rich of IGN. I'm not really interested in this game.

2lvmghw.png

#6 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

The concept is kinda like Garry's mod

Exactly what I was thinking

If Garys Mod and Skylanders made a baby while Mickey Mouse sat and watched..... This is that outcome

#7 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Found something interesting regarding the Wii U version

With its integrated touch screen, the Wii U version of the game would seem to have the most potential for an easy-to-use building interface. “Touch sensitivity, drag-and-drop, point-and-click is really powerful for the building modes,” Blackburn said, also noting that the team would like to add two-player split-screen play, with one player using the GamePad while another plays on the TV. But, he said, Avalanche is “still trying to put these features in right now.” Because the Wii U just came out, he said, Avalanche only just finished its engine, and is putting in all the features it can, but only has about a month of development time left to do it.

LordPickleton.png

#8 A-Leal

A-Leal

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • NNID:A-Leal

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Since Disney owns the rights to Star Wars, could we see Star Wars content in the future perhaps?

A-Leal.png Nintendo Network ID: A-Leal 

#9 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I want Kingdom Hearts 3! not this >.<

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#10 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

This looks pretty neat, though I doubt I will get it. The art style is pretty neat.

I want Kingdom Hearts 3! not this >.<

Kingdom Hearts is made by Square-Enix.

#11 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Two more videos of Infinity

LordPickleton.png

#12 Hardcore Brawler

Hardcore Brawler

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Punch Out!, Metroid, Zelda, more

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Not that bad.
I didn't fall for Skylanders, but this one.... I am interested.

The Disney Infinity starter pack will sell for $74.99, with play sets selling for $34.99, figure three packs selling for $29.99, figures for $12.99 and power disc packs selling for $4.99.

:mellow:

Posted Image

by Cerberuz

My Wii U games wishlist:
Disaster 2 - F-Zero U - Eternal Darkness 2 - Madworld 2 - Beyond Good and Evil 2 (Wii U version)

#13 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

This looks pretty neat, though I doubt I will get it. The art style is pretty neat.

Kingdom Hearts is made by Square-Enix.

I know that but Disney has some control over KH release.

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#14 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

I know that but Disney has some control over KH release.

As far as I aware they don't. Square Enix pay for the licence to include Disney characters in the games.

#15 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Found something interesting regarding the Wii U version

That's a little worrying, I hope the final product isn't a rushed port like Epic Mickey 2 was. But I'm interested in this game, I'll probably get it. If the Wii U version's a rushed port, I'll buy the PS3 version. I wonder what will be trimmed out of the 3DS version due to limitations. I love collecting figures like this ( I enjoy playing and collecting Skylanders also), this will be an interesting game.

Edited by Firejonie, 15 January 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#16 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Toy story 3 also had toy box mode, it was OKAY, I guess.

For some reason I feel like this game will be stale...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#17 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Toy story 3 also had toy box mode, it was OKAY, I guess.

For some reason I feel like this game will be stale...

this is sandbox...
Toybox was just the name for a mode in Toy Story. Where you roam around a land of toys.

Sandbox is completely different, a Sandbox game is one where you can customize and create it. Like Garry's Mod.

The objective of this game is to create an interactive world combined of Disney elements.

#18 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

I wonder were they got the idea of placing toys on a pad from -_-

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#19 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

this is sandbox...
Toybox was just the name for a mode in Toy Story. Where you roam around a land of toys.

Sandbox is completely different, a Sandbox game is one where you can customize and create it. Like Garry's Mod.

The objective of this game is to create an interactive world combined of Disney elements.

What do you gain after you do that? Is there any sort of story to this game?

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#20 Mushlikeahusky

Mushlikeahusky

Thwomp

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Fandom:
    Banjo Kazooie

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

What do you gain after you do that? Is there any sort of story to this game?

The story comes from the playsets you buy. The actual creative mode is just to have fun kinda like Minecraft.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney Infinity, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, PS3, 360, ;_; Not for Vita

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!