Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

from someone who says they've got one.

The next-generation Xbox—the one that will follow the still-popular Xbox 360—will run multiple games at once, require game installations, and will only work when a much-improved version of the popular but divisive Kinect sensor array is plugged in, according to a source who says he has access to development hardware.

Kinect

As we reported a year ago, the new version of the Kinect motion-control sensor array will be included with every Durango sold. The unit seems far superior to the one currently found for the Xbox 360 (or the PC, for that matter).

Perhaps most importantly, this isn't an optional accessory. It's mandatory. Not only does a Kinect ship with every console, but it must be plugged in and calibrated for the console to even function.

This requirement is due to the way Kinect has been integrated with the Durango; because every console can be guaranteed of having the camera, developers can now program every game with the peripheral in mind.

It's also because the Kinect will always be watching you. The new version of the camera is able to track up to six individual "skeletons" in the same room at all times.

The camera has also been improved upon the models currently available, with the Durango's version capable of independently tracking your thumbs, determining whether your hand is open or closed, and even, it's claimed, reading your facial expression and seeing whether you're angry, sad or excited. The improved viewing angle is so wide that the new Kinect doesn't even need to nod to find the best viewing angle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Storage & Installs

A point of confusion during the lifetime of the Xbox 360, and one of consternation for developers, was the way in which Microsoft split the install base of the machine, selling some consoles with a hard drive and others without. This meant games could not be programmed to specifically take advantage of a hard drive installation.

That divide is gone this time around, with all Durango retail consoles shipping with an HDD. That drive is 500GB in size, which should be enough for your media storage needs, but it'll mostly be used for games, which must now be installed immediately upon first insertion of the game disc.

What's more, this installation can take place automatically, while you're playing the game. Durango titles can be designed in "sections," so that you can pop your disc in, start playing and, in the background, the rest of the game will install. Installing games should bring performance improvements, we think, but doing so in the background should also get rid of pre-game install waits, one of the more annoying hold-ups of the current generation of consoles.

Durango game installations will also be mandatory, as games can't directly access data from the disc.

Controller

The Durango's control pad will be a "natural evolution" of the Xbox 360's pad, according to SuperDaE's info. While this suggests a near-identical layout—not necessarily a problem considering the cross-platform popularity of the layout with the PC—Xbox 360 controllers won't work with the Durango, as they use what Microsoft is calling a "new wireless technology."

Game-Juggling

The Durango will be able to run more than one game or app at once, according to the information shared with us. If you're, say, a computer or smartphone user, this is not exactly sending-a-man-to-the-moon level of innovation. But game consoles have long been stuck just running the system-level functions (cross-game voice-chat, Achievement alerts, etc) while a single game runs. On an Xbox 360, even an app as simple as Twitter could only be used if whatever game the user was playing was shut down first. Durango, thankfully, gets past that.

The Durango is said to also allow games to be put into "suspend" and "constrained" states, which seemingly allow users to pause a game, switch to a second game, then return to the first game without losing their place, provided game developers follow some Microsoft protocols. Again, this is no revolution for users of computers, phones, or even Nintendo and Sony handheld gaming machines, but it is one giant leap for consoles.

Their source is SuperDae. The guy who tried to sell a Durango Dev unit on ebay.

I wonder how much of this will be true. Treat it like any other rumor.

LordPickleton.png

#2 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

The kinect thing sounds awful. If for whatever reason your kinect breaks and won't be detected by the system will you just be locked out of even using it? If so that's awful.

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#3 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

The more I hear about the 720 it's the Wii U that sounds more "hardcore" to me. Just the fact that Wii U is a dedicated games console makes the 720 sound like it's focusing way too much on crappy Kinect.

WOW, the 720 is using motion detection, Bluetooth wireless controllers and a Blu Ray drive. Welcome to 2006 Microsoft.

#4 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

The more I hear about the 720 it's the Wii U that sounds more "hardcore" to me. Just the fact that Wii U is a dedicated games console makes the 720 sound like it's focusing way too much on crappy Kinect.

WOW, the 720 is using motion detection, Bluetooth wireless controllers and a Blu Ray drive. Welcome to 2006 Microsoft.

Oh no, but Microsoft did it, so it's a hardcore feature now. You have to understand, when Nintendo does something, it's gimmicky and intended for kids. When Microsoft or Sony do it, it creates a more immersive hardcore gaming experience. Testify!

#5 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Oh dear God. Skynet...it's going to happen. ;A;

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#6 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Impressive. If this is real I may get one as long as the RROD doesnt exist.

Signature_DK.png

#7 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

This is very promising: there is a large leap in memory space, the new NUI rating is quite better, the ability to game juggle is a very cool innovation, and further more you can install games while playing

wjapt2.jpg

#8 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

This is very promising: there is a large leap in memory space, the new NUI rating is quite better, the ability to game juggle is a very cool innovation, and further more you can install games while playing

That is interesting. I wonder if it will be able to stream digital downloads as well. The ability to juggle games is interesting, but I don't know that I would ever use the feature unless saving progress to disk is somehow going to disappear. It seems like they just wanted a way to one up what Nintendo have done with being able to access the browser and miiverse while suspending a game.

#9 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

That is interesting. I wonder if it will be able to stream digital downloads as well. The ability to juggle games is interesting, but I don't know that I would ever use the feature unless saving progress to disk is somehow going to disappear. It seems like they just wanted a way to one up what Nintendo have done with being able to access the browser and miiverse while suspending a game.

This would really come in handy when you have friends over and want to switch off between the games you play or show them another game with out losing progress/ your place on another

Edited by CAPU-CHU, 11 February 2013 - 03:08 PM.

wjapt2.jpg

#10 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

This console is getting less interesting by the rumor.
No sig.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Whooo!!!! YEAH!!!! KINECTS GOT GREEN SQUARES NOW!!!

Seriously though... Those improvements to fidelity are no small matter. Particularly the massive increase in camera resolution, a new active ir resolution, depth resolution, tracking 125 points (joints for 6 people) vs 40 points (joints for 2 people) whilst running advanced facial recognition, and hand/thumb tracking, along with the interperative ai's to make use of the data....

Its definately impressive, And if this is true, durango is becoming a very clear picture.

8 cores are useless for gaming. Its called Amdahls law of parallel processing. The speedup of a program using multiple processors in parallel computing is limited by the time needed for the sequential fraction of the program.

translation, in everything you try to do, there are goingbto be some amount that just cant be paralellized, ie, you just cant use multicore/threads to finish faster.

If you have a program that takes 20 hours, but you can speed up 90% of the program with multicore/thread processing to say, 5 minutes... BUT 10% cant be paralellized, and will take an hour, then no matter how many processors you throw into the mix, you arent finishing faster than 1 hour.

Gaming happens to have a LOT that cant be paralellized. Notably the heart of a game, branchy game code. cant paralellize it.

Thats what all these cores are for, you cant use all of them for improving game performance because of Amdahls law, so they are being used for something entirely different. Some cores will be for the game you are playing, some cores for the new kinect, some cores for the os, and some for managing stuff in standby.

Same with the ram. All that rams not being used for games, new kinect will be taking a lot of it, not too mention the os, and now you can have ENTIRE other games running simultaneously? Thats gonna take a big chunk o ram too.

Im definately impressed, though i am a bit wary of how mandatory they described the new kinect, saying the system wont even function without it... and the used game sales scare...

But mostly im impressed, this is nothing at all like the philosophy behind the 360/ps3, which i quickly got very, very tired of. Its.... Fresh. Interesting, full of potential.

Microsoft, you have my full attention when you show off your next console. Maybe ill even love it as much as that big black box i still have fondly placed at the very bottom of my entertainment center.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

More Kinect force feeding YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! That is the exact f**king reason I sold my 360..............

#13 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

not too impressed. il have no use for game juggling what-so-ever. multiple apps i have no idea if that would be usefull to me or not, rarely used them in the 360... im still not too sure about the installing of the game, but it doesnt seem as bad if you dont need good internegt to play and save your games.. the discs they will use for the games will create a lot of waste probably. the "used games disabled" aspect seems to be a problem too bc im too poor to pay 60 bux for every game...

the kinect seems interesting. ill never use it but i would like to see ms work more with it and i would like to see what they can do with it :) it seems like they could do something really good with it if they worked with it.

#14 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Impressive. If this is real I may get one as long as the RROD doesnt exist.

Can you stop being such a fanboy?

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#15 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Not going to lie, the ability to suspend and essentially "save state" games is interesting.
I'm sure i wont be buying an nextbox simply because their games don't appeal to me, but none the less, i look to be impressed.

#16 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

Microsoft, you have my attention. I think theres some neat ideas going round but the Kinect is obviously going to cost a big one with the improved resolution and tracking points. I still don't know how successful the Durango will be if these rumours all turn out to be true.

Microsoft has made man stupid decisions in the past and present but im sure they wouldn't be stupid enough to actually make some of these rumours true like:
*720 must always be connected to internet to be functional
* Mandatory Kinect 2.0 to function while gaming
*No used games

I guess that last one rumour is reinforced with the fact that games must be installed on a harddrive. One thing im worried about is if both Sony and Microsoft do continue with the original design layout for their controller and developers just don't make use for the gamepad, im sure Nintendo will be fine but i think it's best to speak my opinion.
Posted Image

This is where it ends

#17 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hmmm..... So here are the current rumors:

Requires Kinect 2.0
No Used Games
8 Core CPU
8GB of DDR3 RAM

It's becoming quite obvious that the 720 is designed for multitasking. With all the RAM used for the multitasking and Kinect, how much would be left?

I also have a message for our forum tech king, 3Dude:

With all that's been rumored, how close do you think the Wii U & 720 are in raw power? (keeping in consideration for how much RAM and how many CPU cores will be used for multitasking & Kinect)

Posted Image

#18 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:55 AM

Hmmm..... So here are the current rumors:
Requires Kinect 2.0
No Used Games
8 Core CPU
8GB of DDR3 RAM
It's becoming quite obvious that the 720 is designed for multitasking. With all the RAM used for the multitasking and Kinect, how much would be left?
I also have a message for our forum tech king, 3Dude:
With all that's been rumored, how close do you think the Wii U & 720 are in raw power? (keeping in consideration for how much RAM and how many CPU cores will be used for multitasking & Kinect)

Close enough. This is going to be nothing like 360 vs wii.

And its not because wii u is a powerhouse.

But gamewise, if this potential is capitalized upon, they will hopefully be completely incompatable for many games(kinect/gamepad/wiimotes too different) making room for variety in the industry again, and making it actually WORTH owning multiple consoles again.

Edited by 3Dude, 12 February 2013 - 04:59 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#19 Dusean17

Dusean17

Blooper

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Fandom:
    PATAPON | LBP | DIGIMON | ZELDA | KIRBY

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

So here's my take on this.......
  • Xbox 720 - FAIL
  • PS4 - Sounds amazing from what I hear
  • Wii U - Sold at announcement
Ok then Microsoft looks like none of your game products will be in my room this generation.

PlayStationUnityampNintendoUnitySingleSi

To visit my Nintendo Channel click the link above, to visit my PlayStation Channel click here.

#20 scotty79

scotty79

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Fandom:
    bf3,cod and timesplitters 2!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

Almost looks very like ms are trying to position themselves at the forefront of motion gaming this gen a la original wii?Even at the expense of (dare I say it) core gamers?Also the constant dropping of the "app" word in all references to durango makes me confident that ms are trying to create an apple like multi platform same os app store to generate money.I own a w8 laptop and phone but would not base which console I will buy on just "integration" which to be honest has not been great between lapop and phone as of yet.

I dont find the full kinect integration nice and based on what have read until now will probably end up with a ps4

Edited by scotty79, 12 February 2013 - 05:14 AM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Next Xbox, Rumor, Kotaku

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!